Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i know its been spoken about before but not seen a video yet

·
Registered
540 Posts
I posted a video of mine here:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/taking-my-up-back-to-the-dealer_topic5171.html

I've still got the issue of a (very) loud rattling sound at idle that far exceeds any other up that I've driven which does indicate some sort of loose of warn bearing (only had the car 5 months or so, done less than 1000 miles on it). Depress the clutch and the sound dissipates, release and it comes back.

VW refused to admit there was an issue so I've been stuck in no mans land unless I shell out myself to get an independent to look at it, even though the tech at my dealer agreed there was an issue. I'm actually waiting until I've got some more cash and then I'm going to get rid as I'm not happy with the car or VW.

Don't expect a resolution in my experience.Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If the technician at your dealers has agreed there is an issue then your dealer should attend to it. I stand to be corrected but your contract is with the dealer not VW and therefore the dealer is responsible. If your car is on finance then technically it doesn't belong to you and the finance company should have the fault corrected.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine is exactly the same as the video, here is what VW have to say:

Rattling noise from engine bay at idle vehicles fitted with 02S 5 speed manual gearbox (UK TPI) Release date: 05-Dec-2012 Technical product information Transaction No.: 2032109/1

Customer statement / workshop findings

Rattling noise from the engine bay area with the engine running at idle.

Technical background

Neutral gear rollover noise describes the condition whereby a rattling noise from the constant mesh gearing in the transmission is heard while the engine idles with the clutch engaged (pedal released).

It is caused by engine torsional vibration and is particularly prevalent on vehicles with a single mass flywheel and low idle speed requirements. The intensity of neutral gear rollover noise will increase with transmission temperature and / or an increase of torque loading, for example air conditioning or heated rear window activation.

The rollover noise is inherent to transmission design and will disappear when a gear is selected and the vehicle is driven. The noise is not detrimental to the transmission or engine components and does not constitute a manufacturing defect.

Production change

None.

Measure

When evaluating transmission complaints please draw on the statements above when assessing the complaint, remembering to account for engine refinement, gear selection ""feel""�, and clutch operation.

Warranty accounting instructions

Normal warranty guidelines apply.

Parts information

No parts information.

Customer information

Neutral gear rollover noise will not negatively affect the longevity or performance of the vehicle. It is concept related and does not constitute a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sounds like there is no fix. I wonder why it is not the same for every up? Perhaps you will just have to turn the radio up until you can get rid.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've listened to 4 different UPs including mine and they all did it but at varying degrees, it's not something that concerns me anymore,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts