Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sounds a bit like worn out shoes, bit scrapey when braking and occasionally sticky when letting off handbrake.

anyone else had similar???.......how long should the rear shoes last?? 35kmiles??

will take the drums off at the weekend and have a look and a good clean-out , if worn will prob let the dealer replace as too many springs/levers for my liking!

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
438 Posts
I find my rear brakes squeak first thing in the morning. Must be moisture because they are fine after a minute or so,

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rear Drums used to last about 80k on VW's in the past, tis a shame your having issues already.

I hated replacing brake shoes/drums, I did it once,never again! I remember catching the brake cylinder slightly with the shoe assembly and it knocked the piston out, resulting in brake fluid on the friction material! gutted.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect they just need a dam good clean out, will look on Saturday ...here's hoping

·
Registered
386 Posts
Privatedoc said:
I suspect they just need a dam good clean out, will look on Saturday ...here's hoping
I hope so too because 35k seams way too early for drumbrakes to be used

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Proper brake cleaner ordered.....will let you guys know how it goes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, did you manage to get to the bottom of your noisy rear drums? Did the deep clean work?

I'm having a similar issue, they are really noisy when the car has been stood for 12 hours plus and always 'stick' when cold. The car only has 17k on the clock so I'm hoping a clean out will work. I've already replaced the front discs and pads this month due to them being warped.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brake cleaner wasn't enough, had to take drums off and give a good clear out....(using wire brush) sorted it nicely, .....need to do again soon as now closer to 60K miles though I think I may need new shoes so will ask the garage to do a check with big service.

apparently all this water (flooding) around here is not the best for drum brakes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I will whip the drum off this weekend and take a look

·
Registered
957 Posts
Brake dust and moisture...... it's pretty normal and goes when you have been driving for a while.When it gets too bad take the drums off and clean it out (don't inhale the dust) or get the garage to do it at the next service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts