Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 13 plate Up (37k) I was convinced that urban traffic bumps and rumbles were causing a rear suspension clunking noise. On this forum I see notes about shock absorber noise and looked for that. On higher miles VW threads I see comments about beam axle bushings. I turned the car into a good local garage and asked them to look and they found a worn front suspension drop link which has sorted out the problem. I was surprised that my firm belief that it was a rear end noise turned out to be as wrong as it possibly could be.

·
Registered
828 Posts
At least it's now sorted out. Well done !

Reactions: Ian M

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had to replace my front drop links after 20K, also the suspension strut top mount bearings The noise the drop link made was quite something when going over even the slightest of bumps, I could feel very little free play in them in situ, but on removal one of them was as loose as a loose thing. I was convinced it was the strut top mount bearings that were causing the racket, but even though one of them was badly worn, the noise was all down to one of the drop links in particular.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So for those of you who have swapped/tightened your droplinks, what's the bit type in the centre? I loosened mine (with the wrong bit) and then forgot to tighten it when working on the car!! Now can't tighten it but it's holding on fine!

·
Registered
615 Posts
So for those of you who have swapped/tightened your droplinks, what's the bit type in the centre? I loosened mine (with the wrong bit) and then forgot to tighten it when working on the car!! Now can't tighten it but it's holding on fine!
I will have a look, but I think the replacements were different to the OE parts I removed. Used an angle grinder to remove them as they are always almost impossible to remove without the nut just spinning.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I will have a look, but I think the replacements were different to the OE parts I removed. Used an angle grinder to remove them as they are always almost impossible to remove without the nut just spinning.
Hit the nail on the head there. exact issue I had which is why I couldn't tighten it back up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to replace my front drop links after 20K, also the suspension strut top mount bearings The noise the drop link made was quite something when going over even the slightest of bumps, I could feel very little free play in them in situ, but on removal one of them was as loose as a loose thing. I was convinced it was the strut top mount bearings that were causing the racket, but even though one of them was badly worn, the noise was all down to one of the drop links in particular.
I agree that their noise creation ability is surprising given their size but, encouragingly, they are relatively affordable to change out so you can do some good reasonably easily, assuming you get the diagnosis correct..

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree that their noise creation ability is surprising given their size but, encouragingly, they are relatively affordable to change out so you can do some good reasonably easily, assuming you get the diagnosis correct..
Yep super cheap, ten quid for a pair. If they last as long as the OE ones, three years, I will be well pleased.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hit the nail on the head there. exact issue I had which is why I couldn't tighten it back up
Pissing down here all day so not had a chance to check. Wife working next three days so will be Friday before I can check. Is there enough of the threaded stud poking out that might enable you to get some molegrips on it to enable you to tighten your nuts!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Glad it is sorted. :) (Bar the right tool)...

I just wanted to reiterate that it's really odd how one can be convinced that a noise comes from a certain area of the car, when in fact it is in a completely different place..... Same with water ingress..... We've all been there!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts