Up Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Up GTI bought new at the start of March this year. Has anyone experienced noisy suspension over uneven road surfaces?

Checked underneath and everything is tight. Sounds like rattling in the boot area but nothing there either! Tbh the ride seems to have gotten worse the more mileage I have put on the car (7k miles). Crashy over bumps etc.

I am pondering upgrading to Bilstein shocks/springs or coilovers but wonder if that will cure the problem. And I don't really trust the dealers to look at it as they are useless here in Essex.

Cheers!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Many possible causes.

Easiest one to isolate first is rear seat belt reel mechanisms. Have a passenger pull the rear belts fully out and keep applying tension, while you drive (or find another way of keeping them extended and tensioned). This eliminates any movement of the reel core, which can be heard as a knocking sound.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No noise on my 2018 Gti and the ride is very good consider the wheel diameter, weight of the car and the rubber band tyres, VW have a done an excellent job

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Lots on this site about noisy suspension.
It depends on the nature of the noise, but chances are it's the dampers.
If you can hear a noise with the car parked, and you bodging it from the rear with your hip, then it's dampers.
If you can hear it when rolling down hill in neutral at walking pace, it's the dampers.
Get under the car, and put your hand around a damper. Get someone hefty to nudge the car - if you can feel a a bit of a clunk in the damper, then that's it. It is not the top mount as VW sometimes believe - I've been through the process with them and was proved right!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
No, not side-to-side, and the creaking noise is not the issue - I'm talking about a rumbling or muted clunking sound that has been common on Up!s and Citigos.

Front to rear is the thing that will reveal bad dampers. And you have to be underneath it to feel it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
OK, bit far for a joint road test !

If you can't reproduce the noise by doing what Steve suggests, or by thumping the side of each damper with the side of your fist (while the wheel is off), shout and we'll have another think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts