Up Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 UP and have been very happy with it. I live in the city and only drive around 3-4k per year. It has done less that 50k.

I have recently had an issue where I am driving fine with no issues and then unable to select any gear at all. The gear stick suddenly feels stiff and totally dead and the clutch also feels unusual and sloppy or stiff. It is random and has now happened several times - but not every drive. Yesterday I had an issue pulling away from the lights and could not select any gear at all from 1st. I had to pull over suddenly and coast to the side of the road. After a few moments I was again able to select a gear and drive again without any issues. It feels unsafe to continue to drive like this.

I have already been to the local garage who went for a drive and said it was perfect and no issues. Clutch was fine and gearbox was driving fine. I am booking in again for them to have another look.

Has anyone had this issue, or have any idea what this could be? Any thoughts would be welcome. I have no knowledge of the mechanics to have much insight and the initial mechanic seemed to be puzzled too.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
When you say you can't select a gear, do you mean you can force it but it grates, or you cannot even attempt to select a gear ?

If you know the clutch is fine (as you say - but I'm not sure how to check that without disassembly and checking spring fingers etc!) it could be clutch hydraulics. It could also be the cables to the gearbox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I can’t select anything at all. It is totally stiff and doesn’t move. No crunching or anything. The clutch also feels either sloppy or very stiff. Then a few moments later it’s back to normal.

I have no idea if the clutch is actually fine -just what the mechanic said. I have booked in again and asked them to investigate. It just doesn’t seem like an obvious issue so wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar.

When you say you can't select a gear, do you mean you can force it but it grates, or you cannot even attempt to select a gear ?

If you know the clutch is fine (as you say - but I'm not sure how to check that without disassembly and checking spring fingers etc!) it could be clutch hydraulics. It could also be the cables to the gearbox.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts