Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done 2500 miles in my up now, two thirds of that on motorways, and I just want to say what a great car it is to drive on the open road! Others have said they think the engine has a sweet spot at around 60mph but I find that it's very happy cruising at 75. Drop down a gear and it has plenty of acceleration, and it's not a lot noisier than my Focus was, but maybe that's because I got the sound pack and I like to use it to the full! Driving to work and back on narrow country roads and through town it is terrific too, of course, but I think many will be surprised at how solid and safe it feels on the road at speed. So if you happen to be thinking of getting one, but sometimes, or even often, need to drive long distances, don't be put off by people calling it a 'city car'. It's more like city to city in my case!

·
Registered
104 Posts
We find the Takeup! really good on the longer journey we also have a Volvo V50 but like you say city to city is great we to go from Bath to Bristol and it is brilliant

·
Registered
587 Posts
Bluebottle said:
We find the Takeup! really good on the longer journey we also have a Volvo V50 but like you say city to city is great we to go from Bath to Bristol and it is brilliant

Any pics yet of your puppy?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Excellent news. I'm hoping my damaged back can cope with a bit of motorway driving.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find the seat very comfortable but I had to fiddle a bit with seat height and angle.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I completely agree. I really can't find much difference in driving the Up from my 1.6 new beetle. Smooth and responsive.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't get too enthusiastic, I've still got about 5 weeks to wait.

I've bought betsy's first addition. A mini SD card at 16Gb level. I must make sure I have some cruising music. I intend to take the car for a ride up windermere and a tip on the ferry on it's first day.

I'm regressing in age, I hope it's not senility!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think the stability is because of the car's width. I know it is wider than any car I have had previously because I can hardly reach across to the half way point on the roof when I am washing it.

I have found the seating very comfortable so far and at the end of this month I am off on a four hundred mile plus trip. That will tell me how comfortable or otherwise it is I suspect. I have had a spinal operation in the past and my back is still a bit fragile. So fingers crossed that it is as good on long trips as it is on short ones.

I like the large doors for the same reason, ease of entrance etc. But beware when parking close to other vehicles, it would be so easy to clip the car next to you. I always try to find somewhere away from the main parking spots in supermarkets etc. Right away in a corner somewhere. The invalidity spaces are normally all taken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts