Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been surprised with my little UP! which is labelled by the media as a city car.
It's just as good on the open road and the twisty lanes.
Cruising on the motorway at 60-70 is no problem.
Twisty lanes again no problem but select the right gear as there is not too much torque for the hills.
If you are thinking of buying one it's a great little car that feels like a bigger car...... go and test drive one and you will be surprised !

·
Registered
811 Posts
Absolutely right. I use mine for motorway driving, fast A roads, mountain roads, pretty much everything except city driving. It is an excellent, fun car in any situation. As Derkie54 says, get it in the right gear and it seldom feels lacking in power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Exactly the same conclusions as the What Car? 18 May 2013 weekly report came to!
And we've just completed a round trip from Gatwick to Chester - 3 adults + luggage. Delighted with the car - far more than the 'compromise' I'd thought it might be!
And today, as I inspected my neighbour's new Seat Leon FR, I'm even more pleased! He paid £5,000 more than I did and he hasn't got Sunroof, Heated seats, SatNav or City Braking.
True, he's got auto lights and wipers, but I guess most of us know when we need to turn the lights on or use the wipers!

·
Registered
393 Posts
The only thing that I've found, on my daily commute to work is, that It doesn't do speed humps very well. Because of the wheel at each corner scenario, the wheelbase and track width make traversing them a pain, at almost any speed, especially when there are bloody pot holes at the start and finish on most of the ones I have to go over!
Other than that, as said, it's superb on any road, and I find that the chassis is nice and taught, and the grip excellent around the twisty B roads I have to take going to work.

Matt

·
Registered
202 Posts
well he has got a lot more umpf in an FR engine too :) But you don't need it and no way his MPG is as good urs :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
scarja said:
well he has got a lot more umpf in an FR engine too :) But you don't need it and no way his MPG is as good urs :)

He wouldn't get to his destination any quicker though, the FR will accelerate quicker but the Up will travel just as fast on real roads. I am amazed how well it overtakes if you drop into third.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
I drove my up! to the North of Germany and back in a day, since I had an issue with the seller of my wheels. It performed faultlessly on the Autobahn and happily sat at 85mph for most of the journey, still returned an average of 63mpg for the trip.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree about 3rd gear - the ratio is perfectly matched to the engine's power and torque, providing unexpectedly strong performance for overtaking.

As for 85mph and 63mpg - I didn't realise all the roads in northern Germany are downhill (in both directions) - or is Maps & More confused?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I had a diesel Polo on Saturday morning on loan during a service, and the Up is much nicer to drive, much more perky at low speeds, a better feel. And there have been many times when I could not park even a supermini in a small space available, but I could park the Up. And I even rather like the Up interior, yes it's spartan, but it has style.

Allybasher said:
scarja said:

He wouldn't get to his destination any quicker though, the FR will accelerate quicker but the Up will travel just as fast on real roads. I am amazed how well it overtakes if you drop into third.
Spot on. Those journalists who says it lacks when overtaking are wrong. It zooms past and feels safe. I suspect they try and do it in 5th. Eeek. That would be dangerous.

·
Registered
583 Posts
City car ?
Mine hardly sees the city

It might do 5% of its mileage in the city. Probably less.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How nice and refreshing to read all the positive comments on this superb little car! I read with some trepidation, all the comments about noisy gear boxes, steering pulling to one side, etc etc. but waited to see how mine would perform. I've just reached 500 miles and can't find anything to grumble about and instead, have a growing respect for the Up and how she performs.I'm still holding back as she runs in but this engine revs so willingly and as people here say, drop down into the right gear and she will overtake very happily. There is some mechanical noise from the gear box - but only if you try to pull in too high a gear. a lot of cars will do this. Change down!! Regarding MPG, tests have shown that the computed reading will be 8% to 10% optimistic but so what? You can drive this car hard and still achieve amazing consumption figures. It's a car that makes a lot of sense and one to be enjoyed. I'm so glad I made the change!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's great to hear that you feel the same as I do about the Up. I have driven quite a few different people recently, all of whom have been very impressed. All have asked what engine it has and been amazed that it is 'only' a one litre three pot given its performance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I drove mine to the nurburgring and back, fully loaded with camping gear and it didn't miss a beat. 1100 miles on 2 3/4 tanks of fuel. Superb little car - cruise control was very handy too.

Before setting off

Result of packing away in the rain...

Edited by: Supermegamonkee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased this little car ,
Having driven a diesel Polo (1.9) for over 13yrs, was a bit apprehensive about it.
But my worries were soon squashed , lovely to drive reached 70 with ease on the motorway,
Sails along on the minor roads, as long as you are in the right gear accomplishes hills and bends easily .

Not used it as a town car yet live in the country , but I am sure it won't let me down nipping around town.

Very very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good to hear that, Sheila. Had mine for 16 months now and it gets better and better!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Derkie54 said:
I have been surprised with my little UP! which is labelled by the media as a city car.
It's just as good on the open road and the twisty lanes.
Cruising on the motorway at 60-70 is no problem.
Twisty lanes again no problem but select the right gear as there is not too much torque for the hills.
If you are thinking of buying one it's a great little car that feels like a bigger car...... go and test drive one and you will be surprised !
It's been over a year since I started this thread and has the novelty worn off, are there little niggles that annoy me ?

No I like it more now than I did then.

Admitted it has one or two things they could improve but for the money it's a great little ( and big ) car which is cheap to run and nice to drive.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Had our Mii for 10 months now & while it has only done 8000 miles very little of it has been in normal city driving both of our commutes are mainly 70 mph dual carriageway runs as less than mile from home we are at the 70 limit. One negative is the car takes ages to heat up on cold days, problem with thermally efficient engine I suppose, but other car is 1.0 Ecoboost 3 cyl petrol Focus & it heats up much quicker.
Agree with other comments: car not out of its depth on a 70 limit dual carriageway. In a totally different league than an Aygo we had 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
On German motorways you have to have a look into the mirror because other cars might come with 125 mph ...

Was on the motorway two times now (just for fun and a bit of higher speed mix for the new motor) ...
70 mph is no problem at all. I also felt very good with 80 mph (but didn't want to drive faster - only 375 miles so far). I drive the 60 bhp high up! (same engine as your move up!s).

Drove and rode on English motorways in the 1990s and 2000s ...
Sorry; but what do you need more than an up! (Mii/Citigo)? A quicker car saves less 5 minutes on a 200 miles distance!

Driving behind a lorry on the motorway with about 60 mph my up! had a 100 mgp consumption for 3 minutes! Couldn't believe it! A motorway drive with 60-70 mph means a consumption of 60 mpg or more (not uphill all the time) ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me on where the extra power comes from on the High Up? Same engine on both types so what gives?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts