Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 20,000 service and ECU update on the High UP!

They lent me a take up which ran very well and was not that different to my car to drive !

One thing I did notice though was the engine speed.
At 70mph it was about 3000rpm
My High UP! at 70mph is about 200-300rpm higher I would have thought it would be the other way round !

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also My cooling fan never seems to come on and when you look at the expansion tank you can see the coolant stain on the top of the tank by the inlet tubing where the coolant has been going back into the tank when it gets hot.
I have not noticed this on other cars I've owned and on my Polo the fan was cutting in and out all the time.

The loan car had the same stain on the coolant tank perhaps these cars run a bit hotter !

I still think it's a great little car
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
851 Posts
I remember discussing this in the past. It's fully documented by VW that the 60PS car has a higher final drive ratio than the 75PS as you have observed. No one had an explanation. Personally i suspect it was needed to give the 75 a faster 0-60 time, otherwise everyone would ask what the point of the 75 was.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the 60ps engine quieter at cruising speeds then !
The facts seem to point to this.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer told me that the two engines are actually the same, just one tuned for power, and the other efficiency - so could that actually mean just a difference in ratios & revs?Edited by: jcpren

·
Super Moderator
1,049 Posts
Both engines are physically the same, its the ecu that's different

there are two final drive ratios listed on etka, one is 74/19 and the other is 75/18, which is listed for my 75bhp High Up!

I would guess its for economy/performance reasons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts