Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crunched the gearbox a bit getting into first, not really a problem as the little UP! gearbox is normally fine it could have been me !

Made me think how much abuse can these little boxes take. How many of you have regular crunching when you change gear, are you gearboxes still working ok, how many miles have you done.

I have not heard of any failed boxes on the forum and you do hear all makes of cars making all kinds of gearbox noises.

The crunching you hear is not the gears but the synchroniser sleeves failing to engage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Only crunch I manage is when I try to change from 4th to 6th as I used to on my Golf :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
ad long as you don't lift the clutch in '6th' :) haha that made me laugh

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have found three small pads on the floor near where my feet go. If I push on the left hand one of the Three, the gears do not crunch. Try it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
You have to be careful with the up gearbox, in my experience.
It doesn't always go in the desired gear - it comes close, but it's not in.

Somehow the shifter seems to stop what feels like 0.5cm or 1/6" short of its full travel.
If you let out the clutch at that point, you'll crunch it.

I'll have the linkage looked at / adjusted at the first service.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
miketedl said:
  I have found three small pads on the floor near where my feet go. If I push on the left hand one of the Three, the gears do not crunch.  Try it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strange on mine I have 3 levers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Derkie54 said:
miketedl said:
I have found three small pads on the floor near where my feet go. If I push on the left hand one of the Three, the gears do not crunch. Try it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strange on mine I have 3 levers

stange on mine, I have 3 pedals...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pedals !!
It's not a bike......lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Pedals !!
It's not a bike......lol

Think you will find the Pedal is the correct term for foot operated "levers"

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pedal?q=pedal

Edited by: Lee in Denmark

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi captain crunch here I've got just the thing for the crunching up gearbox . this is what you do .drain the box and fill it with a mixture of sawdust and hypoid 180 gear oil. it should cure your crunching, mind you,probably wont be able to select any gears either.
well at least that's what garages used to do in the old days, before they became "reputable" dealers. they have just replaced the sawdust for bullsh*t such as, "this is quite normal for this model" or "this is not a fault sir , just a peculiarity"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a clanking noise going from 1st to second gear. I took it into be checked and the Vw up curtesy car also did it.Vw garage said this was known but is normal for the ups.
I am disappointed as it is a new car in feb 2015.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts