Up Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have just joined this site and this is my 1st post.

I just recently bought a used 2012 12 plate High up only done 13000 milesfrom Western VW Newbridge in Edinburgh and got a good deal on the car, 2 years free service, MOT and an extra years warranty once it's 3 years old.

The up! Is a lovely little car , it's great to drive, easy to park , looks great with the alloys standard on the high up and is very fuel efficient , my 1st full tank got me 420 miles on 7.3 gallons of petrol which is about a 58mpg average.

However after the hysteria of buying a new car wears off I have to say I have noticed a fair few issues with this car in the 2 weeks that I have owned it.

The first issue is the brakes, I have noticed when at low speeds or when coming to a complete stop there is a grinding noise coming from them , it does not happen any other time.

Then there is a problem with condensation, the car is always steamed up , the heating seems strong and clears the front and rear screens quickly but on cold days I've noticed that if I even turn the heating down from say 4 to 2 then you notice steaming up within a few minutes , the driver and passenger windows never properly clear but I think this could be down to the position of the air vents and the fact they are static.

There is also an issue with radio reception which I think is very poor, it's not a huge issue as I mainly listen to my music via the Bluetooth system which is good quality but seems quite poor for a VW , some stations like BBC Radio 1 are barely audible but in my old focus were crystal clear.

Just in the last couple of days the lights on the Rev counter have been flickering on and off and now half of the Rev counter is lit up and the other isn't.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? The car is due it's first MOT at the end of March so I could probably live with them until then. Just quite annoying more than major issues but never the less .

Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I notice your dealer has given you an extra years warranty. It would be a good idea to notify him of these issues sooner rather later. With regards to condensation check all the carpets for dampness as a leak could be causing the problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When you say the brakes make a grinding sound, I have noticed I can hear the brakes when at slow speed most probably due to the lack of soundproofing. Many owners have found the drainage holes at the base of windscreen (where the wipers are attached) get blocked easily which then causes water to leak inside, could be the cause of the excess moisture. There's an epic topic on this forum about it with no real solution unfortunately.

I've also got poor radio reception at times but dealer didn't find it faulty, although some have had the base unit replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Beevee said:
I notice your dealer has given you an extra years warranty. It would be a good idea to notify him of these issues sooner rather later. With regards to condensation check all the carpets for dampness as a leak could be causing the problem.

As Beevee says check your carpets for dampness to check for internal leaks.

The drains can get blocked with leaves etc. and then the water goes in the plenum chamber and comes out under the dashboard.

If you lift your bonnet and shine a torch in the corners just below the windscreen you will see 2 drain holes (about 20mm square). You can check these drains are clear by pouring water on the windscreen which will trickle down these holes and should come out behind the front wheel arch liners on both sides.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
239 Posts
Calum1992 said:
There is also an issue with radio reception which I think is very poor, it's not a huge issue as I mainly listen to my music via the Bluetooth system which is good quality but seems quite poor for a VW , some stations like BBC Radio 1 are barely audible but in my old focus were crystal clear.
This is a known issue, see for example here: http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/poor-radio-reception_topic4540_page1.html
Another issue that you will experience sooner or later: http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/steering-pulling_topic1289_page1.html

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The problem with a forum like this is only bad news gets reported. When two or three people experience a problem it becomes a universal issue. To say that sooner or later you will experience an issue is just scare mongering. There are many Up! owners who have not experienced the reported problems and are extremely satisfied with their cars. If all cars were perfect there would be no need for a warranty. Unfortunately some will experience problems but the acid test is how these are resolved. Mr Angry generally does not receive satisfaction.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree Beevee people will complain (I include myself in that statement) about faults more than praise a Item (This goes for most things not only cars) but that dosen't say we should not complain & forums are a good place to find out what problems other people have and to share them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The side window air vents are not static - they rotate and have a detent position which is optimised to clear the door glass.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Steaming up happens in all cars not just the up! there is a simple solution to this.
I bought these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LARGE-DEHUMIDIFIER-REUSABLE-MOISTURE-ABSORBER/dp/B00AZZB5UY
One of them sit under the passenger seat while theotheris on the house drying out.

What ariel have you got short or long?
On younger up!s the put the polo ariel on.
Have you got maps and more? Put your music on a microSD card (unto32GB)

Theinstrument lights do dim on and off depending on outside lighting (If its dark the instruments go dark-VW reminder to put your lights on)

If your not happy to the car back to the dealer.
Hope this helps?

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Registered
180 Posts
Before you check things for moisture leaks etc just make sure that you don't have air recirc turned on - my Mii is fine in terms of condensation but a sure fire way to get it to mist back up when in motion is to have the recirc turned on.

Re the instrument lights - as gary says the backlighting automatically adjusts to ambient light so that it reminds you to turn your lights on as it gets dark. So check that before taking back to the dealer.

I echo what Beevee says, forums attract posts about problems with cars (no matter what car it is) so take the whole 'it will happen sooner rather than later' posts with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the aerial point, does a longer aerial improve reception? I have had the base booster upgraded under warranty, but still have the stubby aerial and my reception (although improved) is still not strong enough to get a stereo signal on BBC 2/3/4 most of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
a longer antenna would add some gain provided it was the correct length, it is worth checking the antenna earth, the whole roof is used as a ground plane and if there is not good electrical contact between the antenna earth and the roof (e.g. due to paint) performance will be poor.

Finally, reception on the UP! radio is, infact, crap...it is a well reported thing but swapping out the head unit for something better stops the M&M functionality and needs a facia adapter.

My various solutions include streaming radio stations via my phone through bluetooth and now I've connected up an old Pure Highway dab unit to the aux in and use it with an upgraded mag-mount dab aerial.........brilliant sound and so many more stations....though if you have a more recent up, you can have DAB as factory option.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Calum1992 said:
Then there is a problem with condensation, the car is always steamed up , the heating seems strong and clears the front and rear screens quickly but on cold days I've noticed that if I even turn the heating down from say 4 to 2 then you notice steaming up within a few minutes , the driver and passenger windows never properly clear but I think this could be down to the position of the air vents and the fact they are static./QUOTE]

If you have your heating set to closed/recirc without air conditioning then the car WILL steam up, as will any car.

You either need to have fresh air coming in through the system, or air-con dehumidifying the cabin air to ensure you don't mist up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have a look at this topic for a probable cause for your demisting woes, only recently discovered by a German car magazine, the model tested is also 2012. Involves an incorrectly fitted o-ring which causes a/c water to flow inwards rather than out into the engine bay.

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/extended-demisting_topic6072_page11.html

As for the radio reception, I've pretty much resigned myself to accepting it's just a bit rubbish, have experienced the same with a courtesy car Mii, now using a VW aerial from a Golf which seems to have improved reception a bit but if a van parks close behind away she goes again! Currently use a Bluetooth aux adapter powered by the 12v socket (plugs into a dual usb adaptor so I can still charge my mounted phone), with an extendable sprung aux cable to the stereo which prevents the cable getting in the way.Edited by: Barnsey

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to the world of UP. Condensation was a problem we have with two Ford KAs and our Up - silica gel bags [as mentioned above] solved the problem totally - although I do keep a check on the drain holes. A little noise from the brakes as you observed but only on first couple of slow stops when driving after the car has been parked all night. I am in the habit of doing a fairly firm braking manoeuvre within 100 yards of the house which cleans the disc surface and solves the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misting windows - removed the particulate filter unless you are a hay fever sufferer
Brakes - handbrake does not hold on a slope, recent adjustment and new cable which have made no difference
Rear suspension rattles/rumbles - many trips to the franchise dealer has not sorted this. Went to an independent dealer, they replaced the rear shock absorbers, after 2000 miles the noises have returned
Radio - I set the station but it changes the station every time when I get back in the car.
Water leak - water inside the tailgate
All the above is irritating but I love driving the Up 90 model in every way, tried other similar cars (Toyota Yaris and Aygo, Hyundai i110, Kia Picanto, etc) none drove anything like as good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts