Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced my Polo 1.4SE with an UP which arrived a couple of days ago and to say I am very surprised is an understatement !

I was a little apprehensive when I ordered the UP, I liked the look of it but It was never going to be as good as the Polo. The Polo was a 1.4(4 cylinder)and the UP would be a 1.0(3 cylinder)so it would be a bit sluggish.

The Polo was bigger, would the Up feel cramped ?

The Up was a few thousand pounds less so would it feel cheap ?

Only had it 2 days and done 120 miles in it but I am amazed !

The little UP! just flies along, no problems up the hills, I might have to change down a gear but then I get to hear the lovely 3 cylinder thrum and that's not going to be a problem. It revs very easily I have trouble keeping below 3000rpm for the running in period.
The family have been in it, my son is over 6 foot and he has no problem at all in the back. It really feels as big as the Polo inside.
For the money I can't fault it, would I swap it for a new Polo which costs a few thousand pounds more........... no thanks I'll keep the UP!

It certainly punches above it's weight as they say and I cannot think of a small car I would swop it for.

I will post again when I have had it a bit longer, but for the moment ........ It's great, I'm pleased with my Polo replacement and would not hesitate to buy another
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
226 Posts
Great to see Derkie54!

Out of interest, I looked up the internal measurements of the Polo and compared them to the up!, and to mysurprise found that the up! was actually slightly bigger inside. After sitting in both in the dealership the up!definitely felt much more spacious to me - maybe it was something to do with the windscreen being taller?

By the way, photos would be nice!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
skyhigh said:
Great to see Derkie54! 

Out of interest, I looked up the internal measurements of the Polo and compared them to the up!, and to my surprise found that the up! was actually slightly bigger inside. After sitting in both in the dealership the up! definitely felt much more spacious to me - maybe it was something to do with the windscreen being taller?

By the way, photos would be nice!
I might take a few snaps if it stops raining.
Have you ordered one yet skyhigh ?Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
97 Posts
Derkie54 said:
It revs very easily I have trouble keeping below 3000rpm for the running in period.
Below 3,000 rpm? Running in period? Have I missed something in the handbook?
I thought running in was a thing of the past?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robbyrook said:
Derkie54 said:
It revs very easily I have trouble keeping below 3000rpm for the running in period.
Below 3,000 rpm?  Running in period?  Have I missed something in the handbook?
Robbyrook you haven't missed anything in the handbook,I always take it gently for the first couple of thousand miles in a new car and stick to my self imposed 3000rpm(or thereabouts)limit and try not to labour the engine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derkie54 said:
Robbyrook said:
Derkie54 said:
Below 3,000 rpm?  Running in period?  Have I missed something in the handbook?
Robbyrook you haven't missed anything in the handbook, I always take it gently for the first couple of thousand miles in a new car and stick to my self imposed 3000rpm(or thereabouts)limit and try not to labour the engine.

Just one of my funny ways but I think (I may be wrong) that it helps all the parts to "bed in" even in a modern engine
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I am afraid you have missed something in the handbook. It tells you to keep the revs down for the first few hundred miles. I have also been told it is a good idea to vary the revs whilst running in to avoid flat spots.

·
Registered
397 Posts
you said:
,I always take it gently .......and try not to labour the engine.
Do you find the visual indicator is always wanting an "up" change - often up to 5th gear when the revs are quite low? I find the engine is remarkably quiet, but if I follw the 'advice' I reckon I can hear 'pinking'. Have you noticed anything similar?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PeterWestSussex said:

you said:
Do you find the visual indicator is always wanting an "up" change - often up  to 5th gear when the revs are quite low?  I find the engine is remarkably quiet, but if I follw the 'advice' I reckon I can hear 'pinking'.  Have you noticed anything similar?
I don't use the gear change indicator it advises you to change too early, it might be good for economy but in my opinion it's labouring the engine and explains the pinking.
Change gear by listening to the engine note, you can tell when it's time to change.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
171 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Derkie54 said:
Do you find the visual indicator is always wanting an "up" change - often up to 5th gear when the revs are quite low? I find the engine is remarkably quiet, but if I follw the 'advice' I reckon I can hear 'pinking'. Have you noticed anything similar?
I've driven quite a few VWs (several Golfs, up!, Passat; petrol and diesel) (mainly Zipcars) over the last couple of years, and found that most/all of them (including the 60 PS BlueMotion up!) would advise changing up to 4th or above at already low revs when I felt I was already in the right gear, especially when going uphill - and following the advice resulting in what sounded to me like pinking.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Have you ordered one yet skyhigh ?
To be honest... no. For various reasons I've decided to hold off learning to drive (in an up!) until January next year so I don't need to order until around September time. Every time I see someone with a new up! on here it make me want one even more, but at least the time delay lets me fully decide on which options I need.

I have been to the local dealer's several times to have another look at the up! though in the last couple of months - I get the feeling they'll either know me on first name terms by September or be completely fed up with seeing me!

Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No need to rush skyhigh.
I spent some months on the forum and asked for info/advice in over 100 posts before I ordered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Noise in 5th is not 'pinking', it's the oft discussed gear cluster rattle and roll-over which is apparently a normal characteristic of the car. I agree though, the gear change indicator is great if you want to drive at a very leisurely pace and be bored out of your brain but get great fuel economy, otherwise i you want to have some fun I would advise ignoring it!Edited by: dmn100

·
Registered
583 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:

I find the engine is remarkably quiet, but if I follw the 'advice' I reckon I can hear 'pinking'.  Have you noticed anything similar?
If you can hear that, more revs are in order.
It wants you to shift up really, really early, especially given the fact that it's an atmospheric petrol engine, and only a 1 L at that !

I'm usually running it a gear too low according to the shift indicator.
I don't want to labour it too hard during the run-in, but when it's thoroughly warm, I sometimes let it have its ways.
I try to vary the cruise control a bit up & down as well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
dmn100 said:
Noise in 5th is not 'pinking', it's the oft discussed gear cluster rattle and roll-over which is apparently a normal characteristic of the car.
The gearbox is certainly noisy - especially while shifting.
It's very audible as the car is otherwise rather quiet on CNG.

Wether on petrol or CNG, I don't really like the sound of the engine around 50 kph / 30 mph in 5th when it's got to work a bit harder than just maintaining speed on level terrain - say when going up a modest incline or accelerating.
Yet the shift-wizard wants to be in 5th

·
Registered
811 Posts
The engine sounds better to me the more revs it has. At low revs, the gearbox noise dominates but higher up the rev range the lovely growl drowns it out. I really find that addictive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts