Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been quite surprised by the number of defects and manufacturing mistakes reported by forum members. Is this normal for VW cars in general?

I don't have any past history of owning VWs but thought (naively perhaps) that they were better built, relative to other marques.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What is the percentage of members who have reported problems compared to the total membership?

Any idea have many up!s have been sold without problems?

Bad news travels fast, good news rarely gets through, except when delivered by Sir Trevor McDonald.

Nick

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good point, luckyjimmy.
Just from scanning other VW forums, it seems there are quite a few faults in other models too, though not from new so much as the up! Faults seem to develop more with age. I could be wrong... just spent ten minutes looking.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
I've been quite surprised by the number of defects and manufacturing mistakes reported by forum members. Is this normal for VW cars in general?

I don't have any past history of owning VWs but thought (naively perhaps) that they were better built, relative to other marques.
If you look at surveys you will see VW are average, no more, maybe a bit below, with Japanese makes such as Toyota being near the top. The idea that VW are very good quality is I think created by advertising, and I am always surprised when journalists refer to VW quality. But, I was impressed by the impression of quality in a Polo, very good, and the Up is nice too. The general quality of materials is good to excellent, which perhaps accounts for most of the reputation.

That said, these days cars are well built, so even if VW are average, you should find them far more reliable than they were 20 years ago, before robot assembly lines and Japanese style QC (nicked from an American I might add).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leif: Yes, I seem to remember VW being middle of the pack (JD Power?)as it were, with the Polo receiving slightly better ratings than the Golf.

I'm still surprised though, particularly with things like the incorrect colour of dash pad being fitted and the various water leaks. I did not expect to hear about these type of issues with products from VW. As you implied, we are all victims to a certain extent ofVW marketing in all it's forms.

My own car has a couple of faults, which the garage in Ayr are going to fix on Saturday. One fault is a loose mirror cap and the other is a rattle from the driver's door. They are not 'show stoppers' by any means, but your confidence in the product takes a dent when these sort of issues arise.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I bought my up because of its fuel economy, looks and price. As a two time VW owner (b reg polo and G reg Golf auto) this was a triumph of hope over experience as both cars needed a fair bit of looking after and the Golf had a nasty habit of leaking through the rear door in heavy rain. So far, touch wood, my up has been fine, but I've also owned two Toyotas and I can confirm that if reliability is your main criterion then a Toyota is the car for you.

I agree, Leif, that VW's advertising must play a large part in their reputation for reliability. They've been winning awards for the ads for years. Some may remember the Polo that dropped from the sky while a Japanese gent said "very tough as old boots".

Even the salesmen have been brainwashed. I could hardly stop myself laughing when mine slammed the door on my up and said, "I love the sound VW doors make when they shut.".

·
Registered
24 Posts
What should be remembered is that members of this group are a touch enthuisastic about the UP and having waited quite a long time for the car to be delivered small problems tend to be a bigger issue. I for one have had a trouble free run in my mine delivered late March and now covered 2500 miles. The engine has bedded in and pulls well, fuel economy has improved on every tank and is now averaging high 50s'. Touch wood I have had no issues with the car at all but we must remember that for VW this is a whole new car neither the salesman or the techies have much experience with the car so fixes will not be so fast. I do feel VW does have a problem with the dealers who are not all as slick as they could be, my sales experience was not great but the car more than makes up for it. I also own a Golf 2.0 Gt Tdi its done 92000 miles and has also never given a moments trouble, its serviced by the book at the dealer,no turbo, brake or dual mass fly wheel issues which are meant to be common issues. Overall I am more than happy with the products, the dealers are a bit iffy but that could be a result of the brand growing quickly.

·
Registered
727 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
I've been quite surprised by the number of defects and manufacturing mistakes reported by forum members.

It's the nature of forums, a member posts about a problem and others post comments. It doesn't mean every VW up! owner is having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i agree, i think youll find that the majority of owners havent had any problems... and the type of person to come onto a forum is more likely to pick up on every little issue which might not be an issue to the lay person.

and also there is the point that if someone mentions a problem everyone will then go looking for that problem in their car too

·
Registered
235 Posts
I remember seeing a documentary about VW a few years back featuring the then current Golf. Apparently they doing so much rectification work at the end of the production line at Wolfsburg that they knick-named the Golf 'the cheapest hand-made car you could buy!'
Most cars have some problems - my current 1-series BMW has suffered from most of the standard issues - rattling windows (and I mean a rattle like you wouldn't believe), creaking dash and seat backs etc. etc.
I don't think brand has much to do with - just how good your dealer is at sorting things out if things do go wrong.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
I'm still surprised though, particularly with things like the incorrect colour of dash pad being fitted and the various water leaks. I did not expect to hear about these type of issues with products from VW.
This is a new car, and there are always gremlins that get sorted out after the car is released. There are two recalls, including one for the drain. I bought a new Ford Ka 10 years ago. It had a recall, for a minor fix, and one serious fault where it accelerated without me having to depress the accelerator pedal. It was fixed under warranty. And as said by others, a forum like this will tend to highlight small numbers of faults, which are normal with any make.

The dashboard colour being wrong is odd, suggesting some fault in the system, and I would hope that has been fixed. That said, it seems that VW are fixing these issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My UPs got a fault, but it's been handled well and vw are being really helpful with it,

But I love my UP no matter how many problems it's got, but all sorteddd.. Nearly :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi all makes of car have recalls and minor irritations

look at this and put any make and model car in it will have a recall of some kind

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

And that's not all recalls as I know Nissan Almera (N16) had a head lamp recall and this is not in the list

Edited by: spud

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
only wee problem with mine is fuel filler cap wrong colour of white...Garage have ordered correct one and will fit at my convenience.....can't complain at that!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Privatedoc said:
only wee problem with mine is fuel filler cap wrong colour of white...Garage have ordered correct one and will fit at my convenience.....can't complain at that!

It's great that you got that annoyance fixed!

I can just imagine two cars on the production line, one yours and the other a slightly diferent colour of white.

I can see the production line chap or chapess reaching into a bin with a batch of petrol cap covers. He puts a nice white cover on your car and the wrong nice white cover on the second car. It seems likely to me that there is someone driving around with your cover on their car. You might even try finding them, or perhaps you've got better things to do with your life!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm picking mine up on the 1st and I'm going to the dealers to check it out tomorrow.

I will be stunned if their isn't some niggle or minor problem with the car. There always is with a new model like the Up. What will be key is how VW and the dealer sort out a problem should one arise. Thousands of moving parts in a car, so I always expect one to not be in the right place.

Hope for the best. Be prepared for less.

May seem a dour state of mind for a new car but it's born of experience.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I forgot that my Ford Ka when new had a rear number plate light that fell out of its housing. I drove back to the garage, and they just pushed it back in. I had to go back again. Turns out the bulb housing was from another car, hence it did not fit into the light fitting. I guess as people say these things happen, components fall into the wrong bin, or someone supplies the wrong bin of bits. I can't say I don't make mistakes at work.

Privatedoc said:
Garage have ordered correct one and will fit at my convenience.....
That is a strange place to do the work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Leif said:
I forgot that my Ford Ka when new had a rear number plate light that fell out of its housing. I drove back to the garage, and they just pushed it back in. I had to go back again. Turns out the bulb housing was from another car, hence it did not fit into the light fitting. I guess as people say these things happen, components fall into the wrong bin, or someone supplies the wrong bin of bits. I can't say I don't make mistakes at work.

Privatedoc said:
Garage have ordered correct one and will fit at my convenience.....
That is a strange place to do the work.
Depends how big his convenience is... My up would just about fit in ours!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts