Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of interest, why is obscuring a picture of a number plate considered necessary for security when you car is driven around with the number on full display? I don't understand what the obscuring achieves. Can someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Lol, I have done it on all my photos, but have no idea why... Just me following the flock I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess

1) Someone is unable to make the link between the owner and the car. You can see a car on the road but have no idea about the owner or where they live. If you can link it to someone on a forum, then you are able to find out where they live etc. Security purposes i suppose...

2) You avoid someone cloning your numberplate if they have a car that's very similar to yours

·
Registered
251 Posts
^+1 Also makes it easier for car cloners to simply Google a picture of the car they need and then copy the plate.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It makes it easier for cyber criminals to get hold of your details. Cloning is one good reason but also the potential for stealing. It only takes a search through Google and then Facebook or another social network to locate most people. As the info is available in the public domain it is not hacking. Whilst we may feel safe you never know who is lurking about collecting info...internet is as good as it is bad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Inm addition to above comments - General practice in photography in general - a lot of stock photography agencies will refuse images with registration numbers visible. I took a photograph of a derelict ford van dating from the 1920s and it was rejected because registration plate was still readable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, only in Britain its possible to clone plates, as they do not seem to be made out of anything better than plastic (correct me if im wrong).
Here in Denmark at least, we got so many countermeasures against cloning and counterfeiting plates.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Blackpuppy said:
Well, only in Britain its possible to clone plates, as they do not seem to be made out of anything better than plastic (correct me if im wrong).
Here in Denmark at least, we got so many countermeasures against cloning and counterfeiting plates.
There are countermeasures, but just like in DK organised crime groups have ways round countermeasures. Plates being stolen off of cars is on the increase as ways to stop clone plates. Mean the small time criminality find it easier just to steal plates to use on a car for conducting crime.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now in Denmark, the government have just added another countermeasure. All cars should have tamperproof bolts on the license plates by 2015. Besides that, we got holograms all over the plate, and a hologram strip at the EU badge part of the plate. Also our plates are made from metal, and I'm not quite sure what yours are made of, but i think I saw some cop show here, showing that you guys have different methods of adding the plates, such as stickers that will rip in shreds if tried removing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not so concerned with car getting stolen, but number plates can be used as part of identity theft. But having been sent several parking tickets and failure to display Tax Discs fines when someone had copied a plate it took a lot of work to prove that I had not committed the offences. Fortunately the identical plate were on a car quite unlike mine which did make it easier to prove.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thirteen-o-two said:
I cant recall a car ever being stolen/plated because lf aninternet picture.
How exactly would you know that may I ask?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts