Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV id=post_message_3606106>I have finally been given a registration number for my new Golf, but to be honest (and this is going to sound daft) I don't like it......just the last 3 letters!!

It's too similar to my current car & I just want my reg ending to have a certain 'ring' to it & be easy enough to remember.

What I want to know is am I within my rights to ask for another reg or is this not 'doable?'

Basically I am hoping to collect it next Tuesday.

Thanks chaps.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Didn't they give you a choice? I has a list of six. There was nothing amazing but at least I got to choose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yapmaul said:
Didn't they give you a choice? I has a list of six. There was nothing amazing but at least I got to choose.

Sadly I didn't get a choice, he just emailed me my new one today.

I've emailed him back saying I'm not happy with the one he's given me as it's too similar to my current car & fancy something totally different sounding.

Am I within my rights?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Might take a while to re register it as a 1st owner different plate...unlikely by tues , best thing to do would be take the plate then buy a cheapo personal reg from dvla and change ....How about xx06OLF ?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
PD is right... Just buy a cheapie from DVLA and transfer it!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I bought my beetle I was given a choice, to a degree. I'm not sure if it is still how it used to be and the letters denote a region? (or so I thought, might be complete wrong and made that up tho!) I didn't care what I had, because I knew I would buy a personal plate. I knew what the original number was and when I traded it in they put the same number back on.

But I don't know what my Up! would have been allocated, which is a shame
Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think it depends on how many vehicles the dealership has on order. They'll bulk-buy a set of registration numbers, sufficient to cover the ordered vehicles, and to cut down on paperwork and time spent. Then it will be first-come-first-served as to what letter combination you can choose from.

Nick

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dealers have batches of registration numbers that they allocate from, some give you a choice some don't . The differences will just be in the last 3 letters,
There is no harm in asking your dealer whether you can choose now, however they have probably started the registration process so it will be too late.

I am not sure where the logc of 'cheap' dvla registrations come from- the cheapest is about £400 and a reasonable one is about £850, plus the hassle of plates, insurance change (some charge) etc..

Edited by: davidw

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Plenty of DVLA ones for £275 inclusive, I managed to get several that way, if you want a fancy or rare one, the sky is indeed the limit

·
Registered
228 Posts
I sold all the plates that were name or car specific. I went to an online DVLA auction and bought a three number, three letter plate all in inc VAT and transfer for around £450. E.g. 345 ABC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your helpful replies guys.

<DIV id=post_message_3607644>I called the dealer today to ask if I could swap my regy number & he said that I was able to - and there would be no delays in tis for a Tuesday collection!

So I picked one of two & am a happy bunny tonight.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cool!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Result

1 - 15 of 15 Posts