Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed people posting pictures of their Ups on this forum have not covered up their number plates.Anyone with criminal tendency can for example have a red Up! clone a reg plate they see on line and any police radar check shows a red Up!,they can then go about their "business" getting as many speeding tickets and parking fines as they like and the come back is on the poor owner.This info came from a policeman friend who says it happens quite a lot.So cover your plates when posting pictures!

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's exactly why I spent an hour or so in Photoshop removing any trace of my number plate.

Another thing to remember - don't put your home address in the Maps & More. If it's stolen, the first thing the thief will do is try your home address to see if your house is unoccupied.

There are some nasty people about!

Nick

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My theory is, anyone can see your number plate at any time and if they were going to use your plate fraudulently, they only have to go to the shops or look outside their window! I actually had my number plates stolen years ago and informed the police, but they weren't bothered. Luckily, they must of just liked the look of my plate, as nothing ever came of it. Also if you go to a lot of shows people are going to take photos and post them online

But I take on board what you have said and obviously it's a worry

Apart from which I have no idea how to blank it out

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Nick, good call about the M&M. I for one have 'take me home' activated. Never gave it a second thought. I never leave it in the car though

Will take that right off. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whoops - naive me didn't even think of that! Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You can use the home function on NAV... Just don't put the house number in!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Actually you don't even need your street, so I will delete both. I'm sure I can find my way around my village without it

But I wont be doctoring my car every time I want to take a photo. Even if I started to do this, I know I wouldn't keep it up!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
You can use the home function on NAV... Just don't put the house number in!

what if you don't have a house number!.....but seriously, simple thing is don't leave it in the car! and that INCLUDES shoving it in the glovebox...first place the scallywags would look.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm pretty good, I never leave it in the car.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I was talking generally...

I meant just put the road name in...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Or even better, put the next street in

I should be a PI

·
Registered
705 Posts
One of the security guards at work put the location of the main police station in Peterborough as his home address.

Nick

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
lol... That's clever... Put 10 Downing Street, W1...

·
Registered
303 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
My theory is, anyone can see your number plate at any time and if they were going to use your plate fraudulently, they only have to go to the shops or look outside their window! I actually had my number plates stolen years ago and informed the police, but they weren't bothered. Luckily, they must of just liked the look of my plate, as nothing ever came of it. Also if you go to a lot of shows people are going to take photos and post them online

But I take on board what you have said and obviously it's a worry

Apart from which I have no idea how to blank it out
I think the problem with the up is that as it is such a new car, an up's numberplate will be worth more as they will have to match the plate with the car. I heard this happens with rarer, fast cars, e.g. holdens.

Hang on Ive confused myself, this implies that crimininals are buying brand new ups! Just ask for the photo then point out to the plod that they have a photo of a golf or polo with your up's plate on it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Or do subtle mods to it so if it ends up an a speed camera (a cloned one) show that your one has the UP! badge removed for example!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well I can cope with subtle mods, with my rear window decals, side window decals ,stainless steel aerial, blue indicator bulbs, I think I'm pretty much covered from all views

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah... Yours is pretty unique!!! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts