Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've put an offer in for a take up! up from 2012. Any advice before I go through with the deal? I'm looking at the best part of £4000 for the vehicle and want to make sure I'm making the right call. I will be driving around London and doing 1 - 2 hour journeys on the local motorways. I'll probably take it on 3/4 long journeys a year. Everything I read online is incredibly positive which is a good sign, I appreciate I'm losing a lot of mod-cons and features that newer or more expensive models offer.

I also noticed that the car doesn't have a satnav/ smart radio and was wondering if anyone on here has fitted a popup screen? Currently that's my only gripe.

Cheers
- Ben

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
How many doors & what's the mileage and service history like ?
There are loads of slightly newer, better equipped, low mileage Ups on the market for less than £4000.
My advice would be to wait until you can drop on a reasonable mileage High Up, Rock Up, Street Up, Club Up, or similar special edition models, which will come with a good radio, heated seats, satnav etc.
I'm a believer in always going for the best optioned car you can get for your budget..
As for driving, they are ideal for cities, and longer journeys, but the better equpped models are obviously more comfortable on the longer treks. We've done 300 mile trips, and also down to Le Mans in ours many times, with no problems whatsoever, but they have all been top spec ones.
As a family we now have two Gti's, and a Tsi, having previously had two High Up's, a Club Up, and another Tsi beforehand, so you can see that we're big fans !

Just an example of what you can get for a little bit more :-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many doors & what's the mileage and service history like ?
There are loads of slightly newer, better equipped, low mileage Ups on the market for less than £4000.
My advice would be to wait until you can drop on a reasonable mileage High Up, Rock Up, Street Up, Club Up, or similar special edition models, which will come with a good radio, heated seats, satnav etc.
I'm a believer in always going for the best optioned car you can get for your budget..
As for driving, they are ideal for cities, and longer journeys, but the better equpped models are obviously more comfortable on the longer treks. We've done 300 mile trips, and also down to Le Mans in ours many times, with no problems whatsoever, but they have all been top spec ones.
As a family we now have two Gti's, and a Tsi, having previously had two High Up's, a Club Up, and another Tsi beforehand, so you can see that we're big fans !

Just an example of what you can get for a little bit more :-

3 doors, full service history, 40k miles. £4000 is our top-end budget because neither myself or my partner drive at all right now and we're just testing the water with owning a car together - for her it will be her first car. We're also going through a dealership so I expect there's an added cost because of the warranty included.

Appreciate the recommendations, I'll look into the other models and see what I can do. I try to avoid playing the "for £500 more you can get this" game as I tend to get decision fatigue and then just give up altogether.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all,

I've put an offer in for a take up! up from 2012. Any advice before I go through with the deal? I'm looking at the best part of £4000 for the vehicle and want to make sure I'm making the right call. I will be driving around London and doing 1 - 2 hour journeys on the local motorways. I'll probably take it on 3/4 long journeys a year. Everything I read online is incredibly positive which is a good sign, I appreciate I'm losing a lot of mod-cons and features that newer or more expensive models offer.

I also noticed that the car doesn't have a satnav/ smart radio and was wondering if anyone on here has fitted a popup screen? Currently that's my only gripe.

Cheers
- Ben
Hi there, I’ve owned a March 2016 (pre facelift) take up for nearly 4 years.

For reference, I paid £5200 for the car in November 17 for the car with 4,000 miles from a dealer.
Agree with the previous post about price. £4K for a 2012 seems very expensive unless it’s only got extremely low mileage.

You can definitely get a newer car for £4k and the move up won’t be much more but gives you air con, central locking and electric windows.

In terms of the up - they are great cars. The take up does benefit from having less to go wrong but is basic. Mine has consistently delivered 50mpg in town driving. On a run it will do more and sits comfortably at 70-85. I drove mine from Edinburgh to London and back without any issues.

Running costs are very low with tax,insurance and servicing being cheap. You can’t get much cheaper to be honest. The i10 and picanto are comparable.

Overall, they are very reliable but suffer from some common issues:

- check around the fuel cap. They rust from behind the cap. The facelift (66) plate onwards doesn’t suffer from this due to a protective wheelarch liner. Another reason why I’d advise against a 12 plate is that the rust is probably already there. If you get a newer car it might not have got too bad and you can clean it out and under seal the area.

- noisy gearboxes are common but failures seem low. Generally they do make noises as they are light and don’t have much soundproofing. The clutch pedal clicks. The gearbox rattles at idle due to the rollover gear. Doesn’t seem to be an issue but does annoy some people

- people report problems with condensation inside but I haven’t suffered from this. Air con would help with this as would a fresh cabin filter.

- people report warped brake discs at low mileages so check when they were last done.

-vw (Germany) say the timing belt is long life and should last 160k miles but vw uk recommend a change at 5 years old so you might want to see if this has been done. Wouldn’t bother me personally but many buyers want to see it done.

- tyres last around 20k on the front and 40k on the rear. Check to see if a cheap brand is fitted. They came from the factory with hankook or contintental. The premium brands are about 60 a corner, cheap ones are 40

- I wouldn’t be too hung up on whether it has maps and more. General consensus is that the units are old and slow now. Most people use a Bluetooth adapter and phone holder.

- doesn’t seem to matter whether you get 60ps or 75ps as create the same torque. The 90ps tsi is noticeably better but more expensive.

Going back to the price, I think at your budget you could get one from a vw dealer benefitting from a warranty etc or get a newer car privately/elsewhere. Good facelift models start about £6k.

You can take the reg details and put it into webuyanycar or auto trader (if you have an account) to get the trade price and work from there as to how much the retail price should be. Auto trader also tells you if it’s a good, fair or great price.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Seems very expensive for what it is. My wife's Beats UP! cost £8500 brand new in 2017. Now has 25K on the clock and I would expect to get about £5750 if selling privately. Prices have gone crazy recently for used cars, it was valued at £5200 the last time I had it valued. 11 year old UP for £4000 seems very expensive in the extreme. Keep looking and you will find much better for much less.
There are several 12 and 13 plate UP cars for sale, I am looking for a cheapo one for my grandson, and i would expect to pay no more than £3000, but more likely to pay not much more than £2500. Look also at the Seat Mii and Skoda Citigo, same car, different badge, basically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts