Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scraped a kerb today badly (Up GTI). Torn the front tyre, albeit not through the tread but will need to replace. I also damaged front and back alloys, the back mildly and the front pretty badly. I can't think why I did not take out the insurance for this...

Can you please let me know options for replacing 1) just the front tyre [will local garage just order in the right spec?] 2) and the 2 alloys? It's not a case of buying all new wheels is it, yet can't see any alloy spares for this model anywhere.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can order single wheels from VW, (very expensive).
Shame, a couple of weeks ago a german form were selling a few new GTi wheels on Ebay at VERY attractive prices, from memory about £187 each, with a two / three day delivery.
Dependent on how badly you've marked the wheel, you could get it refurbed for around £60 (if it needs no welding to replace metal).
As for the tyre, just give the garage the detail of brand, size, aspect ratio & width off the tyre, and they'll order for you, but better to shop around as the prices vary so much. Halfords Tyre very often have some cracking deals , I don't use them for anything else, but have bought tyres from them a couple of times at tramendous savings.

Re the wheel, PM this guy quick (see link), he may still have it !
https://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/27-up-gti/11191-brand-new-gti-wheel-going-spare.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you 911 for this great advice. I've tried that guy and a few others, see what happens....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Make sure they repair the wheel properly and if you can get that done for £60 i'll be amazed. They're diamond cut and most "repairers" (irony) don't do the job properly at all, they just blend in a silver to make them look about right but they're not.

What you need to do is find someone who will PROPERLY repair diamond cut alloys and that involves re-cutting the face and re-lacquering. This is the downside of diamond cut wheels and in all honesty one of the reasons i'm not a fan.

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
I managed to curb one of my alloys a few weeks back, took it to the place my work uses for refurbs and was quoted £80 'staff rate' to repair it. I know they can do a decent job of it and will diamond cut it properly, we use a company called Premier Wheel Repairs, they are based in Redhill, Surrey, but most areas have a decent wheel refurbing company.

With regards to tyres, Camskill do good deals on them as long as you have somewhere that will fit them, a lot of places will only fit tyres they supply these days 'in case something goes wrong', the size does make them quite expensive as not many maufacturers make this size 195/40 R17 81V XL, a tyre from VW which will be the OEM Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance is £134.38 inc vat. I know a lot of people slate these tyres but so far I've not had any issues with them, they are 'A' wet grip rated and 'B' for efficiency.

A new wheel from VW is £421.39 inc vat so **** expensive! Part number in case you need it is 1S0 601 025 BN FZZ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So I am now torn between trying to get a proper diamond cut repair or waiting around to see if I can pick up some wheels cheap (such as that person who paid £182 a wheels from Germany on ebay a few weeks ago).
Not too far from Redhill.

·
Registered
190 Posts
tyresonthedrive.com are good if you want the tyres done at home. Used them before, competitively priced too. The guy said it's because they don't have the floorspace/garage overheads. Service was good to imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts