Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out my car at the weekend and discovered that the carpet, in the front passenger footwell, was wet. It was so wet in fact that you could see the water when the carpet was pressed with a finger!

This must be why there was a slightly 'musty' smell in the car of late. Also, on looking closer, the carpet around the sides of the footwell has a faint white ring around it. I think water has been getting in to the car for a while by the look of things.

Anyway, has anyone else had water collecting in the passenger footwell? Are there any 'known' places on the Up where water is likely to get in and hence collect in the footwell?

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Oh no is right.

No water ingress here, but I would drive straight down to the dealers and let them sort it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
windscreen seal?....job for the dealer and expect a free courtesy car while they sort it

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah.... Dealer...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments folks, much appreciated.

I had some time tonight to have a really good look at the car and it seems that the issue is worse than I thought. It turns out that the carpet in the drivers footwell is wet too - so wet that moisture is coming through the cloth mat that came with the car.

It does look to me like the windscreen has not been sealed properly (best guess) or there is an issue with the way the water drains down the bulkhead, from the corners of the plastic 'scuttle', under the windscreen.

Anyway, I will give my dealership a call tomorrow. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I would post a quick update about this issue...

I got my car back today from my local dealership and it turns out that the windscreen seal was indeed the culprit. Seemingly, not enough sealant was placed around the glass when it was installed at the factory. The gaps were enough to let the water in when the car was stationary for any length of time.

Anyway, I give top marks to Ingram's Accident Repair Centre, Ayr, for tracking down and fixing the leak. They also supplied a courtesy car, with no fuss, for the time my car was being repaired.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Excellent, good luck!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AlanG said:
What about the rotten carpets? Were they replaced?

Not as far as I can tell AlanG, it was dark when I collected the car. I did feel about and found the carpet on the passenger side still slightly damp. My impression was that the carpets may have been cleaned, although with the interior light for illumination, I may be mistaken.

Anyway, I will have a good look at the car at the weekend. Hopefully, over the next week or so any remaining dampness willdisappear.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
They should dry just fine.. For them to be rotten, they would have to be soaked for a long period of time, not just a few weeks...

Use the A/C on hot and point to the footwell setting... That will help fry them out quickly!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have just come across this thread re water getting into the cabin. Now, I did notice that the Demo up! I borrowed smelled very musty. I didn't investigate at the time as I assumed some other 'user' of the car had spilled something in it. Last week, as I walked past the Dealership I noticed the same Demo car (I know it was the same car as I have pics of the car fitted into my garage and the number plate is visible in the pics) parked in FULL VIEW on the forecourt, with a hose/water spray clamped onto a metal stand and trained on the front windscreen!
So, not enough sealant! Oh dear! Water leaks were "part of the deal" with the early Ford Fiestas (according to a Ford mechanic at a main dealership in Essex many years ago) not to mention the old days of British Leyland's cars ... but surely not with VWs in 2012?????

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think these issues are few and far between...

Mine is fine and everyone else i know is fine...

S

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had exact same thing. Water in drivers footwell.
Cause =windscreen seal. (what at they doing at factory?) I had new windscreen, carpet was replaced too as it was damp and smelly.

Im not impressed with there quality control

dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinion VW have been makeing cars for 90 years and should know how to put windscreens in. No excuses, cars dont leak in 2012.
cross!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I must admit there are quite a few niggles on these cars in general to say its still early days and there are very few on the roads, It's kind of making me more paranoid and start checking and listening for things I wouldn't normally do with a new car.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Warranty is three years... Dont stress too much... Enjoy the car, in reality it is lovely

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
Warranty is three years... Dont stress too much... Enjoy the car, in reality it is lovely
Agreed

·
Registered
62 Posts
Being the first edition, there are going to be "niggles" as long as they are not big serious problems like problem with the gear box, clutch, engine etc.

Problems with water leakage, clutch, water pump, MMT gear box (ASG in VW language) have plagued Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/ Peugeot 107 for years since first released in 2005 and it needed a new edition (after 2009) to sort them out so it is early yet for VW Up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well to be frank once a car goes into production I don't think there should have to be teething problems or niggles wether a first edition or not, if that was common place who would buy one?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts