Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that in the Multi Function Display we could find our oil and water temperature.... I looked today by scrolling with the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel and couldn鈥檛 find either.
Am I in the wrong place ?
Car is a GTI registered end of august 2019.
Cheers 馃憤馃憤

Registered
My June 2019 Gti shows the water temp using your method, but not the oil temp.

Reactions: Charliefarlie

Registered
I was under the impression that in the Multi Function Display we could find our oil and water temperature.... I looked today by scrolling with the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel and couldn鈥檛 find either.
Am I in the wrong place ?
Car is a GTI registered end of august 2019.
Cheers 馃憤馃憤
I think so !

According to your manual (and mine !), this is the MFD data you can toggle through ...

Registered
I don鈥檛 have coolant temperature display 馃憤
Strange ! ... Is your display missing anything else from the MFD list within the manual ?

Did you buy the car new from a UK main dealer ? ... If so, then I鈥檇 take it up with them. If not, then I would suggest the most probable reason would be that a previous owner has been 鈥減laying鈥 !

Registered
I don鈥檛 have coolant temperature display 馃憤
In the settings menu of that screen in the gauge cluster (press the silver buttons on the steering wheel with the little squares) scroll down and there should be an option called something like "MFD Data". This is where you can choose what appears on your normal MFD list. It's possible that someone (previous owner?) has hidden the coolant temperature display. I can't see any other reason why you wouldn't have it.
As for oil temperature it seems only the newer models have that, it would be good if it could be added though.
Hope this helps :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
In the settings menu of that screen in the gauge cluster (press the silver buttons on the steering wheel with the little squares) scroll down and there should be an option called something like "MFD Data". This is where you can choose what appears on your normal MFD list. It's possible that someone (previous owner?) has hidden the coolant temperature display. I can't see any other reason why you wouldn't have it.
As for oil temperature it seems only the newer models have that, it would be good if it could be added though.
Hope this helps :)
Thanks will try that 馃憤 I may possibly have both oil and coolant il post up when I鈥檝e looked. 馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Strange ! ... Is your display missing anything else from the MFD list within the manual ?

Did you buy the car new from a UK main dealer ? ... If so, then I鈥檇 take it up with them. If not, then I would suggest the most probable reason would be that a previous owner has been 鈥減laying鈥 !
Bought the car from a UK dealer used with 11K miles. Reading a post below suggests the previous owner may have had a play ...

Registered
I think the reason oil and especially water temp aren鈥檛 big on displaying themselves is water will always be 90掳c after a few mins warm up and oil will be pretty similar after warm up.
After that unless there鈥檚 a failure ( shown With red warning on the dash ) nothing of interest is happening .
It鈥檚 not like a car from 1975 with temps altering on hills or when stuck in traffic and the engine on the edge of exploding lol !

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I think the reason oil and especially water temp aren鈥檛 big on displaying themselves is water will always be 90掳c after a few mins warm up and oil will be pretty similar after warm up.
After that unless there鈥檚 a failure ( shown With red warning on the dash ) nothing of interest is happening .
It鈥檚 not like a car from 1975 with temps altering on hills or when stuck in traffic and the engine on the edge of exploding lol !
Reminds me of my TVR days when hitting traffic was nothing short of scary with the temperature gauges heading north........ Fun cars but built so so poorly and breakdowns were literally a daily occurrence. I had a 5.0 Griffith and never managed to use it even once without something breaking or going wrong.

Registered
Reminds me of my TVR days when hitting traffic was nothing short of scary with the temperature gauges heading north........ Fun cars but built so so poorly and breakdowns were literally a daily occurrence. I had a 5.0 Griffith and never managed to use it even once without something breaking or going wrong.
Haha and that's why modern vehicles have dampened temp gauges. They will read 90 even if the engine temp is above so not to scare drivers unlike the old cars which would start rising as soon as they'd stopped. When a modern car shows its overheating it definitely is and there's no coming back !!

Registered
Yes modern technology is amazing stuff .
We don鈥檛 have to worry about overheating in traffic and turning the heater on to max with windows open anymore.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Haha and that's why modern vehicles have dampened temp gauges. They will read 90 even if the engine temp is above so not to scare drivers unlike the old cars which would start rising as soon as they'd stopped. When a modern car shows its overheating it definitely is and there's no coming back !!
My series of MX5 has a weakness in so much as the expansion tanks go hard and brittle after 7 or 8 years... It鈥檚 an MX5 foible... When they split the coolant is lost and the cars rapidly overheat. Owners seldom see the temperature gauge climbing so end up with a blown head gasket. 90% of owners fail to see the gauge rising. I likely wouldn鈥檛 spot it either ! Of course those that are aware change the tanks when they are about 5 years old. 馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Tried finding the coolant temperature which I did but it scrolls straight past it so won鈥檛 allow me to select . I tried unticking some of the other things in the MFD in case we鈥檙e only allowed a limited number of functions but that made no difference.馃憤

Registered
You can see the engine temp on the maps and more app thing under live data .
I deleted the app when I realised it was a complete waste of memory space on the phone.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
You can see the engine temp on the maps and more app thing under live data .
I deleted the app when I realised it was a complete waste of memory space on the phone.
I鈥檓 dyslexic my friend in a way that I can鈥檛 read things like electrical diagrams plus I鈥檓 absolutely hopeless at anything technical ...... I can strip an engine or gearbox to its last component but my wiring doesent extend much beyond wiring a plug...... So fathoming out complicated apps is a non starter for me....

Aside from which every single opinion on that app I鈥檝e heard has been negative. In fact your opinion is one of the better ones 馃槣馃槣馃槣

1 - 20 of 45 Posts