Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
The app was OK, but it stopped working for me late last year - an update probably broke it... It was actually extremely simple to use.

It seems (in my case Skoda) support have disappeared off the face of the earth - I'm getting no replies at all from the guys Czechia, normally they're good, and there's no point asking the 'pond-life' support people in the UK!

I have given up with it too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The the app is totally pointless but it does give a engine temp reading if you really want it . Once at 90° it doesn’t move so not a lot of excitement to be had from it .
Not sure how old you are but I ask my 4 year old grand daughter for technical assistance on Computer based issues lol ! .

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
l am not sure oil and water temperature is that important these days.
So long as you allow the engine to warm up before giving it full throttle or high RPM, which doesn't take long, there's likely nothing to worry about.
ln fact even if you don't wait for the engine to warm up before bouncing it off the limiter in every gear, engines are so good these days that it will likely still last 100,000 miles.

Ask any white van driver.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
l am not sure oil and water temperature is that important these days.
So long as you allow the engine to warm up before giving it full throttle or high RPM, which doesn't take long, there's likely nothing to worry about.
ln fact even if you don't wait for the engine to warm up before bouncing it off the limiter in every gear, engines are so good these days that it will likely still last 100,000 miles.

Ask any white van driver.
Yeh I realise not having the temperature is not so important I was just playing with it to see if it would work..
I always warm up carefully and always let a Turbo engine tick over before turning off if the cars been driven hard..... All the more reason why I never have that start stop turned on.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes I know a few white merc sprinter vans that spend most of their time bouncing off the Rev limiters and have well over 200k on them.
They also handle very well in the corners .

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Modern turbos with ceramic bearings don't suffer like the old units if they are not allowed to idle after a run, or the engine is turned off without allowing it to return to idle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Modern turbos with ceramic bearings don't suffer like the old units if they are not allowed to idle after a run, or the engine is turned off without allowing it to return to idle.
Old habits die hard...... Warming up and down is instilled into me.... So are you sure the bearings are ceramic ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
The start-stop thing has been done to death - it's irrelevant for a turbo - we're talking everyday mundane, not Group B rally cars!

·
Registered
588 Posts
The start-stop thing has been done to death - it's irrelevant for a turbo - we're talking everyday mundane, not Group B rally cars!
But what if I want to fit an anti lag turbo to my GTI ? Lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
You need an additional super-charger!

Possibly cut a hole in the bonnet for it, or do without a bonnet, and get a periscope, proper hot-rod style. :)

You'll get the pick of the girls on prom night! Whatever any of that nonsense is....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Irrelevant it certainly is not.... We live way out in the sticks in the Teme valley with great and quiet roads. Nearest small town is Tenbury Wells which is 7 miles.
I may not be driving like a rally car driver but I can certainly generate some heat from that small engine. Get to the junction at Tenbury and the thing turns itself off..... That’s the last thing anyone wants ceramic bearings or not.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The turbo cools immediately the engine switches off - there is no heat-soak as the engine's exhaust manifold is integrated the head (which is a big heatsink). I think you are in the 1980's with the turbo-thing :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The turbo cools immediately the engine switches off - there is no heat-soak as the engine's exhaust manifold is integrated the head (which is a big heatsink). I think you are in the 1980's with the turbo-thing :)
Your one h ell of a guy when it comes to refusing to accept anyone’s opinion but your own.
I stated clearly above old habits die hard. It’s good practice to both warm up and down Any engine turbo or otherwise.
The turbo is a hard working component which gets as hot as or hotter than pretty much any other part of the engine and it’s ancillaries yet you say just turn it off or it doesn't matter but it does. Just a couple of minutes running allows heat to dissipate and it doesn't matter where or how that turbo is sited. Ask any engine builder or anyone who has stripped and rebuilt turbochargers. I have been in and around motorsport for many years and I know not one mechanic or engineer that would not encourage warming up and down . Period. .

You say the stop start subject has been done to death well for you maybe but perhaps not for others or new members. In this case it’s looking at start stop from a different angle .

Discouraging members to post is just ridiculous. Forums will live or die depending on posts or lack of. Advertisers won’t advertise if the post count is low as they would never see a return on their investments.

·
Registered
776 Posts
We've had turbos on production cars since what? 1962?
I think the engineers involved now know what they are doing, especially in a low-stress consumer application.
All I am saying is that I for one would probably trust a bunch of German PhD-level level engineers, if they reckon start-stop is OK on a GTi.. If you have data that says I am wrong to believe in sceince and engineering - do publish it!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
We've had turbos on production cars since what? 1962?
I think the engineers involved now know what they are doing, especially in a low-stress consumer application.
All I am saying is that I for one would probably trust a bunch of German PhD-level level engineers, if they reckon start-stop is OK on a GTi.. If you have data that says I am wrong to believe in sceince and engineering - do publish it!
There you go again............. No point discussing with you .

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have kind of given up on this forum. I still read the posts, but as I feel I have experienced some lack of respect from one or two members, possibly a bit of bullying, so I now will just post when I think I can help someone looking for information or advice, but not get involved in anything else. A few forum members really need to show more respect when others post an opinion that differs to their opinion, just chill. We are not all experts!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have kind of given up on this forum. I still read the posts, but as I feel I have experienced some lack of respect from one or two members, possibly a bit of bullying, so I now will just post when I think I can help someone looking for information or advice, but not get involved in anything else. A few forum members really need to show more respect when others post an opinion that differs to their opinion, just chill. We are not all experts!
I completely understand..... I’ve just about had enough too... Shame really as there are a lot of good guys here 👍

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not trying to add fuel to the fire...

But those engineers don't think it's ok they are forced into it by today's very stringent emission laws!

It's very obvious to me personally that start stop has to have an affect on various components longevity...

I have no issue with anyone that wants to use it and reap the economical benefits but I'm not looking to replace my starter motor etc way before there time to save 50p in fuel.

We are all entitled to our opinion and to do what we wish with our respective cars.

But sometimes this forum can be a little difficult to say the least

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, we can talk whether stop-start is a problem for various components, but the turbo was what we ere talking about.
FWIW, it's the exact same stop-start systyem on a Porche 911 Turbo... :)
All I'm saying is don't worry about it!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts