Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so 1000km has come up already in the up and I went and booked it in for the service and asked if I could have the oil changed at 1000km.

I was told this was not required due to a special oil put in by VW for the run in period and the first oil change wasn't required until 15000kms.

Can anyone please from either the tech dept at VW or anyone in the know confirm this?

Also I asked that I would like it done anyway and I was told that if the oil is changed at all before that date the warranty in voided?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every other new car I've dealt with goes in at 1500kms for the oil change.
Rather odd to read VW does a generic oil change with standard synthetic.

Personally I'd go about getting this done anyway, through a third party. It won't void your warranty, how are they going to know?

Guy at work had his then brand new 2009 Liberty engine fail due to oil starvation. The first service was done, run in oil not changed and surely enough the engine gave way at around 2500-3000km.
Completely covered by warranty, but yeah. Wouldn't want to go through that myself. (Makes you wonder what they did with the car the day they had it...)

Edit: Perhaps ring another service center?

Edited by: Astron Boy

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a bmw and that didn't have an oil change early in it's life. It's 7 years old now and 80,000 miles and still going strong. Modern manufacture and good oils are very good these days.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The manual says that the engine will consume on average 0.5 liters / 1000 km, but can consume more during the first 5000 km. They don't mention much about replacing the oil altogether though, and maybe 1000km is a bit fast, but topping it up is recommended.

·
Registered
587 Posts
With much tighter engine tolerances and fully-synthetic lubes theinitial"1000 mile" service has been dropped by pretty much all manufacturers. Some still undertake it in harshenvironmentsthough.

It is just important to watch oil levels as new engines can burn a little more oil as the bed in and and tighter seals are formed in particular around the piston rings. Never had any issues on the last five new cars and only one needed a 1 litre top up of oil.

·
Registered
727 Posts
WGN_WERKS said:
I was told this was not required due to a special oil put in by VW for the run in period and the first oil change wasn't required until 15000kms.

Can anyone please from either the tech dept at VW or anyone in the know confirm this?

Correct, my dealer here in Switzerland also said the first service on new vehicles isn't until around 15,000km as they no longer need an early oil change (advances in better built engines).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

thanks for the feedback, I had a ring around and no one else would touch it at all!! so I'm going to do it myself as one othe the companies I work under are a reg mechanic.

It hasnt used any oil either :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a mechanic from Mercedes-Benz and Smart I can confirm that you do NOT need to change the oil before the 15.000 km mark.. Our MB drives up to 25.000 km on the first oil, and rarely consume any in the process.. For Smarts the first service is also fixed at 15.000 km :) so no worries!

·
Registered
217 Posts
As my local VW mechanic nicely explained, the engines are nowadays driven in at the factory on a bench and built with such laser precision that there really ain't no metal splinters etc mixing in the oil that there used to be. Hence no need for the first oil change, just do your normal service at 10k miles (15k kilometres)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mine will be done after one year... No need to do a 1000 mile service

·
Registered
430 Posts
manual says VW 504 or 502 oil and I assume they recommend Castrol. Will the Castrol Edge longlife be OK if I need to top up? this says 504 & 507 on label, i think its a 5 30 grade. Reason I ask is I already have some which I use in our Golf TDI

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Can you use diesel oil in a petrol? Every time I looked at oil cans they say for petrol or for diesel

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hmmm be reet haha actually don't take that advice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts