Up Owners Club banner

oil change

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ThatUp!GTI 
#1 ·
i have bought a 62 plate basic 999cc up on delivery after they changed oil and filter ,i have a leak from sump plug my fitter says its been over tightened and cracked casting ,waiting for it to go in to be repaired ,can it be repaired or new sump required?

#2 ·
Most sumps are cast aluminium. These can be repaired, although it's a bit more complicated when oil has got into the crack. I suspect it will also depend on where the crack is relative to anything critical, and how big the crack is. See the following for more info:

#5 ·
Just go on YouTube, and watch Andrew Chappell (Volkswizard) changing the oil on his UP Gti, he goes to some length to explain the importance of not over tightening a sump drain plug.

There are a lot of good second hand UP parts available, especially on ebay, and i recon a replacement sump could be fitted for around £100 or so

Personally i would avoid buying it from a main dealer, as they would simply charge a premium price.
Source a good second hand example, and unless your mechanically competent, have it fitted professionally, as getting the seal right between engine block and sump, is very important.

The sump bolts, have to be torqued to a certain pressure, the same with the plug, overtighten any of them, and your back to square one.

I can't imagine who would have put so much force on tightening a sump plug, as to actually crack the sump itself.
A qualified mechanic, would simply not do such a thing, as the threads on a modern engine are easily damaged, the same with over tightening spark plugs.

If you know what your doing, you simply do not do it, as the damage caused could be very costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.