Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought about changing oil between services? On motorcycles I've owned I did this as a matter of course, changed the oil myself half way between service intervals. As this is my first ever new car is it something I should consider? Ant thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
532 Posts
New oil is good but expensive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll be dropping my oil out at 5K. I've done 1300 miles so far and the difference between fresh and now is noticeable (colour etc). I'll be doing it myself of course.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Its a bit anal to change oil between services unless your driving style or journeys are harsh on the engine. But if you have money to burn it's reassuring in a way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Clook said:
Has anyone thought about changing oil between services?
To what point ?
The oil change interval is already a lowly 15000km.
The oil can cope with that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My brother has a Sharan diesel (non-PD) and changes the oil every 8K - he is about to hit 200K in it and it literally drives like new. Its on the original clutch, exhaust, gearbox and turbo.

My old man has a W reg 1.4 Polo, he doesn't do many miles (about 6K per year) and he changes it every 5K. Even after 5K the oil looks like new when it comes out. Goes to show that the engine is tip top inside.

I change the oil in my Golf every 10K without fail - a few times I've changed it at 8K.

I'll be dropping my oil out at 5K no question - oil and water are vital to the longevity of the engine. My question is.... why wouldn't you change it as often as possible? Some might call it anal and I suppose it is but I also say its looking after my rather expensive investment\purchase.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It seems to make sense to me to do it - I know someone who has just got rid of a V reg Astra, owned since new with regular oil changes.

I would also do it if I wasn't sure that the dealership actually changed the oil. A previous dealer didn't top up the oil for another car and we assumed they had. The engine ran out of oil. Not good. I guess I should have checked the level. :/

·
Registered
583 Posts
wetflyingmonkey said:
My question is.... why wouldn't you change it as often as possible?
Would you change it daily ?
You'd start every day with fresh oil - surely nothing could possibly beat that ?

There's simply no point in changing the oil that often - unless the car is little or infrequently used, like the Polo.
But then , VW happen to recommend yearly oil changes in those cases.

The oil can stand the use - and far more than that.
Oil quality has progressed a great deal since the 50s and 60s, there's no point in sticking to the oil change intervals of that era ...
In today's trucking world, oil gets checked, and it only gets changed when it won't make it to the next service with sufficient reserve.

Changing oil more often than you need to, just adds to the waste and depletes resources.
You're removing perfectly good working oil ...

You don't change brake pads every few 1000 miles either.
Nor do you change tyres as often. Nor the air filter. Nor the spark plugs, nor the coolant, nor the brake fluid, ...
Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
101 Posts
_1S_ said:
wetflyingmonkey said:
You'd start every day with fresh oil - surely nothing could possibly beat that ?

There's simply no point in changing the oil that often - unless the car is little or infrequently used, like the Polo.

Oil quality has progressed a great deal since the 50s and 60s, there's no point in sticking to the oil change intervals of that era ...
In today's trucking world, oil gets checked, and it only gets changed when it won't make it to the next service with sufficient reserve.

Changing oil more often than you need to, just adds to the waste and depletes resources.

Nor do you change tyres as often. Nor the air filter. Nor the spark plugs, nor the coolant, nor the brake fluid, ...
I agree with many of your views especially that oil can withstand far more than 5k. Th reason why I'll be dropping the oil out at 5k is because the engine is going to wear more in the first few thousand - all those components bedding in - the metal goes into the oil so it make sense to change it at 5k. As for changing it daily.... certainly not on a production car but an F1 car...... they wouldn't reuse engine oil. That gets changed after 500 miles or at the end of the race.

A good friend of mine is an engineer and he is of the opinion that generally speaking your typical car would benefit from having its oil changed at least every 8-10K. Direct past experience has taught me that when it comes to oil (especially where turbos or VCT is concerned) never skrimp on oil, buy only what it recommended for the car and do it in advance of the recommended schedule. It's only £50 every 12 months - your car will love you for it. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
_1S_ said:
wetflyingmonkey said:

Completely agree. Modern oils are more than capable of lasting the manufacturers intervals.
If VW (for instance) thought there was any doubt do you think they would lay themselves open for endless warranty claims?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It would be a complete waste of money to change the oil less frequently than te service manual sets out. I have driven over 1,000,000 miles in 15 pr so cars and have never done this with no detriment to the engine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Each to their own then I guess but hey it makes me feel better knowing that the oil is that much cleaner.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For those of you who are keen on keeping your engines as clean as possible doubling up oil changes will not prevent excessive carbon build up or keep your injectors pristine for this you will need a fuel additive, the best available to my knowledge is a product called BG44K for petrol engines and BK244 for diesels. You just add it to your fuel every 10,000 miles to put your internals back to new condition and reduce the risk of clogging your egr valve, injectors, cat etc.. To me this makes much more sense than replacing perfectly good oil. It cost about £20 a tin (less than an oil change) and has lots of impressive testimonials and reviews. I have used it on my Golf TDi and am very happy with its performance in maintaining my engine and fuel system in great condition.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you drive it hard or its performance engine it will most likely benefit from regular oil changes. But I think in a 1.0L 3 Cylinder city car its not going to make a massive difference. I wouldn't go over the recommended service interval but I certainly won't be changing it before then. I don't see the point, Volkswagen engineers are the experts with millions of pounds at their disposal for research and if they say it needs to be changed at xyz I will change it at xyz.

·
Registered
583 Posts
wetflyingmonkey said:
Th reason why I'll be dropping the oil out at 5k is because the engine is going to wear more in the first few thousand - all those components bedding in - the metal goes into the oil so it make sense to change it at 5k.
The reason for the 1K oil swap of old.

Engine engineering tolerances have gotten a lot tighter - allowing 0w30 and even 0w20 oils these days - and initial abrasion has gotten a lot lower.

As normal wear will still be highest (even if reduced) when the engine is new, I'd drop the original oil early when on a long-term service interval.
But on a 15000 km interval, I really can't be bothered about it as it's still going out rather quickly.

VW didn't change their 50000 km inspections policy because of oil issues.
Mainly, other issues tended to go too badly wrong when unspotted / uncured for that long.

A good friend of mine is an engineer and he is of the opinion that generally speaking your typical car would benefit from having its oil changed at least every 8-10K.
10 K miles is the interval VW gives for the up.
Probably because of its main intended purpose : city use with lots of cold starts / short trips.

There's only a couple of things that'll destroy a decent oil within the 15000 km / 10000 (?) miles interval that VW gives for the up :
- fuel getting into the oil
- severe contamination (dust / sand, as in running without air filter)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts