Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea of the rate of oil consumption for the 3 cylinder engine? did I read that someone stated at what level VW will state that the engine is faulty in ml/mile?

My current car with its BP4W 1.6l engine burns no oil. at all. As my new UP will be a brand new car, I am thinking of recording the oil consumption over time as proof. I do not like all these stories I read about VAG engines burning oil by the liter. Such a task can be done by recording the before and after weights of the oil container for each top up.

anyone else think I'm crazy?

·
Registered
421 Posts
tom said:
Does anyone have any idea of the rate of oil consumption for the 3 cylinder engine? Did I read that someone stated at what level VW will state that the engine is faulty in ml/mile? I do not like all these stories I read about VAG engines burning oil by the liter. Such a task can be done by recording the before and after weights of the oil container for each top up.

anyone else think I'm crazy?
In a word.......yes!! Lighten up about buying a VW, don't be so gloom and doom!!

I've owned 4 VWs since 2000 and none have had the issues you're dreaming up on your posts. I have never had to do more than topping up of the oil - like any normal car.

With all the recording and picture taking your going to be doing of your new car you won't actually be doing what the car is for........enjoying.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I say yes too!

I'd buy something you have more confidence in, or could I suggest something that you understand the workings of?

They don't build faulty engines these days, they have it mastered. If you're really unlucky and have a problem it will fail well inside the three year warranty period.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am convinced that with a little care you can really end up with a reliable car. Start it, drive it as soon as you can, but gently. After the heating starts to work or at least 2 miles off you go. Occasionally rev the thing a bit. This makes sure the bores are fully worn in. when stopping let it idle for a short while especially if it is a turbo.

Don't labour the engine. Try to change gear carefully rather than slamming it into gear. It's possible to drive a car without a clutch. When changing up let the engine speed settle to the new speed and when changing down match the revs to the gearbox speed. Use the brakes rather than the engine, brakes are cheaper than engines.

Don't ride the clutch. If I find you doing it I will report you to the VW owners club.
Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good advice, although water temperature gets up to it's normal operating value quite quickly,oil takes about ten miles of driving to get fully up to working temperature, it's best not to drive too hard during the warm up period. That's why lots of short jouneys cause more engine wear.

Starting driving straight away is best practice as it gets temperatures rising quicker.

Normally aspirated engines don't need a cool down period like a turbocharged engine, the cool down period of a turbocharged car is to ensure that after a hard drive, the turbocharger doesn't cook the oil and it's bearings, a lot of turbocharged cars have a pump that continues to circulate oil around the turbocharger after the engine stops running to help prevent cooking itself.

Timely oil and filter changes using good quality products of the correct grade are a big part of engine longevity.

In view of the fact that VW have managed to dispense with a balancer shaft on this engine I suspect they have been built to quite fine tolerances which bodes well for a long life.

I'm always more concerned about being too harsh on the lower gears, they are more fragile so I will always avoid harsh acceleration in first gear, except when I used to race of course!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think Tom's trying to wind us up!

I hope so, at least - if not I wouldn't want to be the dealer that sells/sold him an up!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Some engines burn a little oil... its fine... that is why you can buy oil in shops and why it tells you to check oil in the car's user manual...

My EOS used to burn a bit of oil, but done for years. The touran also used to burn more than it does now. I guess that as the engine wears in, it stops burning oil...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upmeister said:
I think Tom's trying to wind us up!

I hope so, at least - if not I wouldn't want to be the dealer that sells/sold him an up!
I promise you I'm not. As an engineer I have been trained to question every point, trust no-one and get calibration certificates for everything

VAG had a turnover of 95billion euros, and they still had the 1.8l oil sludge problem in Audi's. VW has claimed this is a new all aluminum engine.

didnt anyone else do a cost-bayback analysis on the cost of fuel?

according to my maths, If I drive my planned route for 4 years, I will be in profit if I used my mx-5 vs my UP! on fuel alone!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Keep your MX-5 then, or, the wise move would be to trade it for a Nissaan Pixo?

Why come on a VW Up forum when you don't like them or want one and everything else is better?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did look at the nissan pixo, but I didnt like the lack of refinement. I was willing to spend more to get more.

I dont remember saying I didnt like the UP!. I put 50% deposit down, so I must like it.

I think you might be missing the point. Yes, the ideal car is a bentley
that costs £1000, gets 150mpg and seats 7, but we all have to compromise
when looking for products in the market. Here I found the UP! a good
choice for me.

If you had a newborn baby, would you keep detailed infomation on consumption/excretion if you knew there could be a problem? I know thats overstating my case but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The most they would let me put down as a deposit was 30%.

I'm an accountant, I'm analytical, I'm also very knowledgeable mechanically, I think the Up is a good car.

I have a Seat Leon Cupra R with 270+bhp and I'm quite happy in the Up, it goes quite well and better than the figures would indicate.

I haven't for one minute thought that the Up would burn oil, where have you heard this?

It's not something I have read or heard of, and I have no concerns over the mechanical integrity of the Up despite my very disappointing encounter with VAG products over the last five years with the Leon that shares all of the faults with the Golf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts