Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The oil used in these cars is a very light grade, 0w/20 l think
Most likely for economy reasons. You could try a 5w/30 which may reduce the oil consumption.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The oil used in these cars is a very light grade, 0w/20 l think
Most likely for economy reasons. You could try a 5w/30 which may reduce the oil consumption.
That would only be the case for cars set on a flexible service schedule and it seems most GTIs are on a fixed service routine and hence use VW 502 00 which is usually 5W-30/40.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Fair enough

I think they may have used 0w/20 when ours was serviced before we sold it.
Might be worth changing it for the 5w/30 or 5w/40

·
Registered
130 Posts
As I said I picked mine up on the 14’ December so no doubt next month I will get a phone call off Liverpool VW asking to book it in for its first service.Will get the ‘droopy’ rear spoiler trim replaced as well.
Did not get a phone call, got a card in the post instead.Booked in for next Monday for oil change service, droopy rear spoiler trim and an annoying rattle from the boot area, rear offside. when I rang Liverpool VW to book in, got transferred to a call centre in Nottingham.Why not just speak to someone in the service dept' at Liverpool VW?.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes it happens a lot nowadays, you get diverted to a call centre.
It’s annoying but seems to work except when you have a question about the vehicle or service.
I guess it takes pressure off the dealer, the jobs just turn up with no need to pay a staff member to organise everything.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Johnson’s are the same,ring up any of their dealerships,Skoda,Hyundai etc and ask for service and you speak to someone in Redditch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've done 40k in mine now and never had to top up between services. They have been using Helix in it at service time. It was run in reasonably sensibly and has never been redlined. I did notice my Golf was using oil more when I used Mobil 1, Perhaps some engines do consume the thin oil faster.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just checked mine, due a service next month, 400 miles,still sat at the Top. Didnt bother with 1000 mile oil drop. I did have a habit of coming off the gas heavily to seat those exhaust valves

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've done 40k in mine now and never had to top up between services. They have been using Helix in it at service time. It was run in reasonably sensibly and has never been redlined. I did notice my Golf was using oil more when I used Mobil 1, Perhaps some engines do consume the thin oil faster.
Recently had my first service with my local dealer in Llandudno junction and they also used Shell 0w30.
Apparently this oil has very low evaporation levels , very high cleaning levels as well as great wear protection.
I know VW in Chester use Castrol edge professional so oil choice must vary between dealers.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That's where i bought mine from.
I dread to ask what they charged you to change the oil, but the garage i use, charged me £50 for the pleasure.
The only thing, is that i change everything on the car, whether it needs it or not.
Oil, plugs, and both oil and air filter, every year.
I buy the items, at the best possible price, and get it done every year on March 1st.

I learnt my lesson, on taking a car to the main dealers, as they would have charged me a simply daft £286 to just change the oil and filter, on my previous car.
Thankfully i had a service plan, so did not have to cough up such daft prices, but just imagine the shock if i had gone to Chester without the plan, a bill of over £300 just to drain the oil and change a filter, plus my fuel to get there and back.

NO THANKS

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was charged £172 two weeks ago for My cars first service,not bad for a first service but still a rip off.Still waiting to get the droopy rear spoiler trim replaced under warranty,apparently after the dealership was taken over by Johnson’s the warranty agreement with VW UK had to be renewed and VW UK seems to be a bit slow in getting their act together.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My car has a two year service plan that I payed £159 for so I pay nowt for 2 years .
On my invoice for the first service the price came to £109 which included the oil and filter change plus a general check over and a little video of what was done by the mechanic.
Don’t think that’s too bad a price for a main dealer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
£109 is more than reasonable, a bit different to £286, which in effect is for exactly the same work.
I know some dealerships, are in high rateable value locations, meaning they have to charge the customer more, but they take advantage of most car owners, who think they must use the main dealer, to have their car serviced.

I am sure, the percentage of owners who do not realise they can take their car elsewhere, as long as genuine parts are used, and the garage is VAT registered, must be pretty high.

If more people decided to use the smaller independent garages, then the crazy servicing costs would no doubt come down, but most car owners are simply too scared to do it, just incase warranty work is required some time down the line.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was charged £172 two weeks ago for My cars first service,not bad for a first service but still a rip off.Still waiting to get the droopy rear spoiler trim replaced under warranty,apparently after the dealership was taken over by Johnson’s the warranty agreement with VW UK had to be renewed and VW UK seems to be a bit slow in getting their act together.
Took the car in today, the rear spoiler trim has been repaired and now there are 2 technicians working on the car trying to find the source of the rear offside creak/rattle.Am picking the car up tomorrow at 10-30.Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Everytime ive opened the bootlid on my Gti, ive noticed the black tailgate roof spoiler, moves slightly, indicating that its not held on as securely as it could be.
It flexes everytime i shut the tailgate, so its quite possible the screws or retaining mechanism has worked lose, or is not as secure as it should be.

My car is still remarkably rattle free, granted it has not been used as often as most owners here, but there are no untoward rattles or noises, inside or outside the vehicle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just had an update, mildly concerning, the noise is due to two metal plates in the boot area rubbing together.It has been classified as a manufacturing fault and VW Technical have been informed and the workshop is waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well the news has just got a lot worse,VW Tech' says the car has to go to an approved VW body shop and the nearest one is in..............Chester!!.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts