Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please could someone take a look at their owners manual and tell me what type of oil the 75bhp engine uses. I have an unopened 5 litre pack of Mobil 1 5W-30 and I'd like to know if it can be used in the up! Otherwise, it will go with the StreetKa.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
525 Posts
Vw specify VW oils. They are VW 504 00 and VW 502 00. Which one seems to depend on service intervals. Don't know if there are equivalents, but VW clearly want you to think not and warranty would be affected by using the wrong one.Same for both engines btw. Enjoy the car when you collect it!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I hve always used Mobil 1 0W/40 in all my VWs... it is great for the modern engines!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I always thought Mobil 1 was one of the best motor oils you could buy. I even put it in one of my Fiestas, which was perhaps overkill since it was the old pushrod 1.3 engine.However, I sold that car at 90k miles with little indication of any engine wear (I think it was Mobil 1 0W/50 grade).

If I keep my VW Up after the service plan runs out I may revert to Mobil 1 again - an oil and filter change every 5000 miles should keep the engine in good order.

·
Registered
727 Posts
When I took delivery of my new (75bhp)up! the Volkswagen dealer gave me one liter of VAPSOIL 507 00(SAE 5W-30 synthetic based oil) along with a very handy bag to keep it in. The bag has velcro strips on the back and bottom sides which can be attached inside of the vehicle to keep the oil container from sliding around while driving. In the picture the oil container appears blue but it's actually a dark silver in color.

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
235 Posts
Oil is becoming a bit of a mine field as it is now almost an 'applicated part' for modern cars due to all the emission equipment fitted and demand for lower fuel consumption - for example using the wrong oil can damage the Catalytic converter.
There are some 20+ different types available to meet the various specifications demanded by the different vehicle manufacturers.
To get the right oil you need two pieces of info now - the grade AND the manufacturer approval specification number/code for the engine/vehicle in question.
You will get both pieces of info from the VW oil bottle - it doesn't mean you have to keep buying it, but you will need to ensure you buy an exact equivalent going forward to ensure no problems in the event of a warranty claim.
I've always been a fan of Mobil 1 too, but even they now do various versions of Mobil 1 because of the above.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I also use Extralube ZX1 with the oil... it makes a huge difference to performance and smoothness... It will be the first thing that goes in it as soon as get it!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i got given oil by my VW dealer, but i swear it wasnt a VW make one.... I will go check in a moment and then repost once I know...

·
Registered
525 Posts
The oil reference I gave earlier was from the owners manual. The two oils are for both engines. Which oil depends on the service interval.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Longlife oil can't be used in Up!This oil is made for cars where You can switch between service intervals. You can't do it for Up!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I just use the best know about... its only for top ups anyway as the dealer does the oil changes at annual services...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I picked up a tub Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Oil 4 Litre of when it was on offer, will it be ok?Edited by: Supermegamonkee

·
Registered
432 Posts
Magnatec is semi-synthetic oil. It's not in the same league as the fully synthetic oils.

The pecking order goes:

1) Fully synthetic. Made from chemical compounds, rather than crude oil. At the microscopic level, think spherical beads, rolling around and lubricating the engine very well. Much better at all temperature ranges. Very good on cold start-up. Low-ish viscosity and a good viscosity range. Reduces hydraulic losses when being pumped around the engine. Last longer. Includes Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix, etc. More expensive, but worth it.

2) Semi-synthetic. A blend of about 30% synthetic and 70% mineral oil.

3) Mineral oil. Millions of years ago changes in the climate caused massive die-offs of small marine plants and animals like plankton. Trillions of their tiny corpses sank to the bottom of the oceans and later got subducted under tectonic plates, where they were subjected to enormous temperature and pressure in an oxygen-starved environment. They slowly turned into kerogen, then into crude oil. We use the fractional distillation process to separate the different viscosities of liquid like naphtha, petrol, parrafin, diesel, marine bunker oil, light machine oil, heavier lubricating oil, grease, bitumen, asphalt, etc. from crude oil. At the microscopic level, think irregular shapes like grains of sand, rather than spheres, lubricating the engine.

Edited by: move up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
move up!: Nice summary - I particularly liked your description of dinooil (item 3).

In an ideal world you would run your car, from new, with a fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1. If anything went amiss though, thevehicle manufacturer would use this as an excuse to wriggle out of any warranty claim.

Incidentally, I seem to remember being told that it's not a good idea to use a fully synthetic oil in older, classic car engines. Seemingly, this sort of oil can cause the various engine oil seals to shrink or perish. This may just be an urban myth though.
Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
525 Posts
I may be missing something here, but why not just use the oil specified by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
432 Posts
@yapmaul... that's right.

The VW 504 00 is a standard (not an actual oil) required by VW. That standard is met and exceeded by the following oils:

Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 5W 30, Motul Fully Synthetic 5W 30, Fuchs Titan Fully Synthetic 5W 30, Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W 30, Gulf Formula GVX Fully Synthetic 5W 30, and Shell Helix Fully Synthetic 5W 30. See these websites for more details:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-749-vw-50400-oil.aspx

http://www.mobil1.co.uk/why-mobil-1/vw-engine-oil.aspx

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_210681_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

I haven't seen the up! manual yet, but I'm guessing it requires VW 504 00 or very similar.

I always spend the extra few Pounds on the best oils. In terms of the yearly cost of motoring, £45 instead of £25 for oil is worth it

1 - 20 of 46 Posts