Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I put my deposit down on a High Up! BMT in Night Blue. I just want to gather some opinion on some of the option extras. I've opt to get the chrome pack so mine will not look like a bog standard one. Is it worth going for the "high gloss" alloy as well? Does anyone have pictures of the normal and high gloss alloy as I can't honestly tell the difference between the two from the brochure or website.

Is the city emergency brake thing a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks.

Adrian

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got the high gloss black wheels. No sample at dealers and when tI saw them, NOT what I was expecting!. Subtle difference barely detectable! NOT worth it as far as I am concerned. City Braking and all that goes with it DEFINITELY worth having. VERY pleased with the car!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might also want to spec the spare wheel as it is only about £55. If you order it after delivery it is double the price.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Sound pack is an essential and I specced the sensor pack as I needed cruise control (reversing sensors are good too!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Does anyone has a photo of the black high gloss wheel? I just wondered whether it will go better with the chrome pack than the standard wheel (High Up).

I also got the sensor pack as I also need cruise control!

I still feel the emergency brake pack is a bit of a gimmick. Having said that they are standard on the mid to high spec Golf, so maybe it's useful to have when it comes to selling it...

Adrian

·
Registered
583 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
City Braking isn't worth having unless you can't drive properly.
I've opted to have it installed - if I were to need it just once in the car's lifetime, it'll (more than) pay for itself.

I guess it's like the airbags.
Unlikely that I'll ever need them, but good to have them anyway just in case I do need them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
twodoctors said:
Is it worth going for the "high gloss" alloy as well?
I wouldn't put a (very) dark rim on a Night Blue up![/QUOTE]

Does anyone have pictures of the normal and high gloss alloy as I can't honestly tell the difference
Plenty of pics about with the regular, "silver" / normal Classic wheel.

The black version is rare as hen's teeth though ...

Maybe PeterWestSussex could post a pic, I can't find a decent one on Google.

Look for a White up! with white Classic rims, then substitute black for the white spokes. That's them ...

IIRC, the Antracite Spokes can be had for a little extra in the UK (as the high up regularly has the normal, silver Spoke wheels).
Those are nice wheels.
Darkish, but not too dark, so still a bit of contrast.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
397 Posts
_1S_ said:
twodoctors said:
Is it worth going for the "high gloss" alloy as well?
The black version is rare as hen's teeth though ...
Maybe PeterWestSussex could post a pic, I can't find a decent one on Google.
You'd need some really top notch photography to be able to see the difference! They are in the VW brochure as "BLACK Spoke High Gloss" They are certainly NOT black though! And the fact that the brochure pictures look identical ..... I'd describe them as 'PEWTER'.
My thinking was that with twenty spokes per wheel (what a task to clean 80 spokes each wash) the 'standard' silver spokes would quickly look dirty. Well, mine still show the dirt! So not worth the extra £100 IMO.
I'd rather have spent the £100 on the radio speakers upgrade (which the High up! now has as standard) - althoI must say, the choral CD I played in the car on my return journey round the M25 this morning gave perfectly acceptable quality on the basic two speakers!

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

I was attracted by the word "high gloss" rather than "black", since I thought a literally shiny set of alloy would go well with the chrome pack. There's a tiny bit of chrome on the wheel cap of the "standard fit" so I guess that would do. Can't bring myself to fork out extra for the other alloys.

I'm sold on the emergency brake pack. Although I still think it's a gimmick, it'll probably be standard fit in a few years time. I intend to keep it for more than a few years, so £225 really isn't "a lot of money". Sunroof however... I have never had a sunroof in any of my previous cars, and at £655 I really can't see the point.

Adrian

Edited by: twodoctors

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just love my sunroof! And emergency break, and sound pack, and sensor pack. Why don't you just buy it all? I did! And no regrets on any of the stuff! Just get it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably because I have quite bad hayfever and so in the summer all windows are closed and air con on full blast. In the winter it's too cold, so all windows closed and heater on full blast!

Probably would have got it if it was half the price...

Adrian

·
Registered
583 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
You'd need some really top notch photography to be able to see the difference!  They are in the VW brochure as "BLACK Spoke High Gloss"
I'd describe them as 'PEWTER'.
Seems I've confused the issue a bit more then

Oh well, everybody needs to do what they're good at ...

I thought it was about the very rare black 16" classic wheels.

But you've got the 15" Spoke Anthracite though - checked the UK configurator, and that's the £100 option in the UK.

I'd have loved to simply have that choice in Belgium as I quite like those wheels.

I'd rather have spent the £100 on the radio speakers upgrade (which the High up! now has as standard) 
I've got the 6 pack as well, and it's OK for a stock car speaker system.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Spare wheel is standard now on at least the High Ups. Wasn't a month ago when I ordered! Configurator and the standard spec listing says otherwise now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I decided to get all of the options. Drive pack Plus, Cool & Sound, maps & more, Sound Plus, Winter Pack, Spare wheel, Winter Tyres and wheels and the Front passenger seat folds fully flat for long loads.Being out in Germany... everything is an option, even on the High UP!... I order the Cross UP! in Pearl Black. Cross UP! is only available here in Germany.
and only one engine on the Cross UP! 75ps.
But it does bump the price up... was not bothered about the City brake feature, it came with the Drive pack which i got for the cruise control. and the parking sensors with the maps and more... will pick up the car in November, so will be delivered with the Winter Tyres on it... and the summer wheels will be stored at the dealers...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have ordered a high up with no extra options, primarily because I could get a just finished standard build in 3-4 weeks and the dealer said it would be 4 months for a factory order and I just can't wait that long. When I bough a fiesta you could customise one already being built so only waited 6 weeks. Had that been an option I would have liked the body colour dash (red). I'm slightly suspicious of the braking pack- the more complex software you add, surely more risk of problems?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went for the sound plus 6 speaker after reading here in the forum that some people wished they had got it.... and the car is under warranty so anything goes wrong... straight into the dealer and get it fixed..wonder if anyone has had the city brake kick in yet... or deliberately tried it...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts