Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Tom, just to say hello and that I have ordered a 3 door up for a second/commuting car.

from what I have read there seems to be a few problems peoeple are having with the up. is this the case?

I am also having second thoughts about the black shiny dashboard while driving/reflecting light...

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
VERY FEW problems, just about everyone here loves their up!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I agree with Privatedoc, very few and there have been in the past some posters who have registered purely to post problems, then disappeared!

No problems for me and I'm over 1500 miles

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while im sure that all cars have problems, hearing about gearbox noises and fobbing off by dealers doesnt sit all that well.

it reminds me of mk2 golf that we had as a child, which had endless problems with the engine and expensive parts to fix.

ive never bought a new car before, if my mx5 had better fuel consumption and air con, I probably wouldnt have switched at all. oh well :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have a black gloss dash and have had no problems with reflections

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
And I am sure fobbing off by dealers is common place with all marques.

This is amplified by the fact that they just don't seem to know whether or not the gearbox noises some are encountering are actually anything to worry about or not

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's a great little car. The shiny dash is excellent. I think most of the noises that have been reported are down to it being a small car where you hear things you wouldn't hear in a larger vehicle. Anyway, why worry? It's a new car with a three year guarantee.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Remember, A lot of owners are downsizing to an up, i am used to cosseting silence in cars like my Mercedes, or BMWs but that just aint going to be the same in an UP, the sound deadening material in a 7 series BMW probably weighs as much as the whole UP! its just a different way of travelling!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it might be a little better for me as I am getting my up as a change to my mx5. There is no soundproofing with a soft top! no pollen filter either. I might arrive at work without a headache or sore back in the future. hurrah.

·
Registered
532 Posts
all small cars suffer noise problems. just listen to my citroen.It whirrs at low sped and the raer end sounds like it's being dragged down the road.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You will always just see the problems whenyou go to a forum... It's just a fact of life, but the fact of the matter is that happy people vastly outweigh the unhappy...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I bet Privatedoc is particularly happy right about now!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I bet!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome from an excited owner in waiting!

·
Registered
523 Posts
If I listed all the problems I have had with my Minis it would put off the most die hard mini fan! I wanted to hate the up when I test drove it, the fact I put a deposit down straight after the drive spoke volumes for me. Ok so it's not as quick as my coop, but it feels quicker round town and when I look at savings on fuel, insurance, tax, tyres it will make a big difference. Bye bye £175 a corner runflats for a start!! Lol

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'll just add my two penn'arth and agree with everyone else. Whilst a very few may have encountered problems/faults (and personally I'd be gobsmacked if no-one had any problems with a brand new car AND model), the majority have had no issues at all (including me) and just love our up!s to bits.

I've done about 850 miles in mine now and already the engine feels looser, smoother and faster. OK, there is some additional noise due to lack of soundproofing but that doesn't detract from the sheer joy of driving a tardis of a car that feels much bigger and much more expensive than it actually is.

I didn't hesitate when ordering mine and absolutely don't regret the decision.

Edited by: clowesa

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
We have had our move up! for 3 months now.Great!
We have just had a 1000 mile free check over at the dealers,,and everything is ok.( lots of dealers
Do not tell you about this free check over....they check everything and give you a document like when
You have an mot/service with all the items that have been checked with boxes all ticked off....brakes , fluid levels,
Exhaust, etc,etc...)
Door rattle sorted.....(put a little plastic electrical tape on door lock catch on car...has stopped
The rattle ). Dealer adjusted door lock first..rattle was still slightly there...so did the tape myself.
This stopped it.
Overall we are 100% satisfied with our move up!
Regards to all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There,

Ive owned the basic Take Up for 2 months now.
I thought I had a problem with the mechanical door locking as the key locked the drivers door and boot but not the passenger door. The garage pointed out that I had to push the passenger door handle into lock position before getting out of the car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, you have to do that but only on the Take up!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our High Up! has no mechanical problems but the M&M stalk seems problematic. Doesn't connect properly and sound only comes out of some speakers sometimes. Pushing down on the stalk sorts it for a few hours only.

The dealer has said they have one other Up! owner with the same problem and changing the stalk alleviated it. However, they cannot order stalks with the actual M&M unit and they are not allowed to order M&M units for warranty problems yet!

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it, but audio/gadget problems always seem to vex dealers more than mechanical issue!

Everything else about it is brilliant for a £10K car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts