Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have taken the plunge and ordered a High Up, 5 door, in black, sports pack and City Emergency braking.

Although not originally for me - bought as a learner-mobile for my 3 kids - after having driven a Move Up demonstrator I sense aggro ahead because I really liked it, and can see it easily being our default "just nipping out for... " car.

Maybe its because I'm used to something bigger, maybe its because I havent driven a modern small car in a while but I thought it was great, and with the extra toys on the High Up its going to be brilliant.

As a "daily" I drive a Navara pickup truck which has to have a meeting with itself before applying the brakes when I stamp on the pedal - the Up! stood on its nose.

And the Navara lollops along, meandering about - whereas the Up!'s steering was pin sharp, responsive with a beautiful weight.

In fact the only thing I'd change, and its very minor, is I'd add about another 25mm to length of the gearstick just to make it a bit closer to the wheel - other than that... I'm hooked. (Sorry kids, its my car now!)

Good choice fellow Upists - its a cracking car! Roll on our 2015 delivery date!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi Jelly,

You will get a "2015.2" then with the updates of CW45/14.
You high up! should have two electric window switches (L/R) on the driver's side.

The up! is really very handy and makes a lot of fun to drive.
With the M&M you can have up to 32GB of your favorite songs (need to buy an extra microSD card "Class 10" like Sandisc).

Your children might learn to drive on the Navara.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and thanks for the info on the spec. & the SD Card.
I would imagine they would sooner use music from their own phones via Blutooth, but populating an SD card also makes sense if the navigation through it is simple enough.

The M&M allows 2No simoultaneous phone connections , doesnt it?

Actually, I dont want to encourage phone use at all, I simply wanted a system pre-installed so I could get "BadDad" about phone use and consequences of me catching them handset in hand. (Severe, like give me the keys you are never driving this car again consequences!)

As for 2 electric window switches or one - I dont think I'm that bothered. I am fascinated by the fact that they are getting a car with all these toys.. my 2nd, 3rd, & 4th cars were Beetles - and they had nothing but the essentials - and as a result, I spent many a happy hour maintaining them but modern cars are much less DIYable and thats a shame I think.

Cadfael said:
Your children might learn to drive on the Navara.
Hahaha - its massive, and an automatic (though I suppose if you can referse park a Navara at night, you can park anything!)
In fact, my wife's car is semi-massive and also an auto.
And there is no way they are ever getting behind the wheel of my "play car".
No, the Up! will do fine. It's ticked all our boxes.

But I am geniunely looking forward to it arriving, and I'm pleased with the deal - and the main dealer we've ordered it through are sending lots of "love" via email, and hopefully soon our tracking number.
(or does that come direct from VW?)

I didnt "go to town" on the dealer, so still need to source some mats, and from reading on here mudflaps dont appear to be that effective?

(And also that Skoda fronts fit, but the rears dont - shame because they are significantly cheaper)

Other than that, I guess were just waiting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice choice!  I'm hopefully just a couple of weeks away from collecting my 3 door black high up, also chose the sports pack for the great wheels and slightly sharper handling. only other addition was the sensor pack (not a confident parker, and cruise will be a nice toy to have even if it won't get much use!) and BMT as most of my driving will be town traffic. 

I also got the 'premium' mats included as part of the deal I struck with the dealer along with 2 years servicing -  but I'm sure you'll be able to find cheaper ones that are just as good.

The tracking number comes from the dealer rather than VW,  I got mine a couple of days after ordering. Then nothing much will happen for a few weeks until you get a build week confirmed, and it goes from there... you can register for tracking updates via email and/or text once you get the number - and its a good idea to do that as it saves logging in all the time to see if there are any changes.

My car arrived in the UK couple of days ago and I ordered 2nd week of September so pretty happy with that for a factory build - touch wood, so far no delays at any of the stages 

Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
upmancotswolds said:
Nice choice! I'm hopefully just a couple of weeks away from collecting my 3 door black high up, also chose the sports pack for the great wheels and slightly sharper handling. only other addition was the sensor pack (not a confident parker, and cruise will be a nice toy to have even if it won't get much use!) and BMT as most of my driving will be town traffic.
Nice spec. Had I been ordering it for me, I'd have been tempted with the sensor pack for cruise control and maybe even BMT - but as this is a learnermobile then I want to teach throttle modulation , and I thought the stop/start of BMT might have introduced an element of panic for a new driver. 5 door was my wife's input, I'd have gone for 3.

I'll confess "Sports Pack" was for the appearance but it is going to pose problems with attaching L-plates!

upmancotswolds said:
I also got
the 'premium' mats included as part of the deal I struck with the dealer
along with 2 years servicing - but I'm sure you'll be able to find
cheaper ones that are just as good.
Theres a couple of bits I want to add, mats, flaps and possibly sill protectors. But I genuinely felt I'd driven a hard enough bargain so didnt push it. Am sure a "famous internet auction site" will provide those.

upmancotswolds said:
The
tracking number comes from the dealer rather than VW,
OK. Cool. We havent got it yet. The first 17th birthday isnt until Feb, and so unless I can find a decent, local, private practice area were in no rush to get it until then. And so impressed was I with it, if we got it earlier I might be tempted to adopt it for myself!

Hope yours comes soon!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jelly said:
Nice spec. Had I been ordering it for me, I'd have been tempted with the sensor pack for cruise control and maybe even BMT - but as this is a learnermobile then I want to teach throttle modulation , and I thought the stop/start of BMT might have introduced an element of panic for a new driver. 5 door was my wife's input, I'd have gone for 3.
good thinking, BMT omission probably very wise in your situation. It will actually be my first car with that feature and I'm sure until I get used to it I'll have a few moments at lights etc when the engine dies!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upmancotswolds said:
good thinking, BMT omission probably very wise in your situation. It will actually be my first car with that feature and I'm sure until I get used to it I'll have a few moments at lights etc when the engine dies!
Hehehehe, hope so!

Due to our very similar spec's we should compare fuel economy data once we get ours.

Tracking No. arrived yesterday and ""Your order is with the
factory and is currently being scheduled for production." and although I'm in no massive rush, its good to be kept informed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a text message from VW to say that "Alan" (dont ask!) has left the factory and heading out for delivery.

This is slightly ahead of what we anticipated when we placed the order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cadfael said:
So, Alan is going to be an Xmas present ...

1-2 weeks until Alan is at your dealer and about another week until Alan is "ready to go home" ...
Well... no... erm.... sorry, I need to explain.

My plan is that "Alan" is hopefully the car that all 3 of my teenage kids will rotate through learning to drive in, we have 3 other cars, but none are suitable for learning in as, for example 2/3 are automatics and 3rd's keys NEVER leave my hand. (This "rotate through" is the logic why we bought a new one as we'll need a low insurance high safety car for 6yrs - and they can share 1 better car so I'm not buying 3)

So, "Alan" is sort of a birthday present for the eldest, not that its hers, she's just the first to be old enough.

When we ordered, we took guidance that lead time was 10-12weeks, plus, I assumed some Christmas shutdown, if not for the factory , maybe the shippers etc. That "worst case" calculation put arrival date in late Jan - perfect. The birthday is 13th Feb. (and I could find somewhere "off road" to learn the mechanics of driving on, she could get it earlier if needed). Maybe we ordered a tad early, but this is a calculation that was done in the dealers, plus I'd gotten wind of a 1st November price rise. (Which OK, only turned out to be 1% , but even at 1% it was better in my pocket)

Now it looks like, as you correctly pointed out, could even be before Christmas.
So... do I want it then?

a) Weather isnt likely to be too condusive.
b) As soon as its mine I need to insure it - though I wont need it.
c) Registering it in 2014 will have modest effect on residual values when we come to sell.

So I probably sort of dont want it before Christmas. However, being a realist, if it arrives, then I wouldnt be suprised if the dealer is keen to shift it, especially before the end of Q4 for bonus reasons, maybe? So.. given that b) & c) are genuine real costs to me, if they are prepared to "incentivise" we'll collect it. Certainly we'll talk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update this with progress for other's future reference.

Ordered 19th October 2014. (Guidance was 13week lead time, plus any Christmas delays. Ours was a special order because it has the rarest of things "City Emergency Braking")
7th November "Your up! order has progressed to stage 3 of 7 (build week confirmed). W/C 23/11/14"
23rd November "Your up! order has progressed to stage 5a of 7 (in transit: left factory)."
28th November "Your up! order has progressed to stage 5b of 7 (in transit: shipping)."
2nd December " Your up! order has progressed to stage 5c of 7 (in transit: near the UK)."

So my guess is "Alan" has now left Emden and is on a boat bound for Grimbsy, and were going to smash the 13 week lead time. (Dealer has agreed to store it until our projected arrival date)

EDIT:
4th December " Your up! order has progressed to stage 6 of 7 (arrived in UK)"

Edited by: Jelly

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
upmancotswolds said:
Mine took 8 weeks from order to collection, looks like yours will be even shorter period.
Yeah. Only downside is we dont want/need it until well into the new year.

Happened to call in the dealers on Saturday (no real reason, it was just a convenient place to park as I was out in my car that doesnt have a car phone kit and had missed calls to attend to) - and their official screed still says 13weeks, and I think equally suprised by the speed of the process.

I guess for most orders to "Under Promise and Over-deliver" is a good thing, but were working back from a 17th a birthday as so dont need it early. (3cars for a 2driver family is an extravagence, 4 would be just plain daft!)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There will be much face fanning and talking in 3 letter anacronyms when my eldest daughter reads the text message I just sent her.

"Alan has arrived"

(ie our Up! is at the dealers. 7 weeks after we ordered)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Collecting on Saturday.

Have a few issues with insurance, but they are largely put to bed now, so its all systems go for collection.

Mudflaps from eBay are enroute, ditto mats, and some lamps to get rid of the orange on the "face". Just hoping for some better weather so I can detail it before unleashing it to the streets.

Quite excited.
Not driven a manual for months, my daily is an auto and my "play car" is tucked away for the winter, so am hoping I dont stall it at the dealers....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So went to collect yesterday.

That was painless, and the dealer made us feel special. (something I'd asked them to do when I ordered it)

Presently sitting outside our house with 52miles on the clock (had 12 when we collected) and so far I'm impressed.

I'd test driven the 60hp Take Up! , but ordered a 75hp High Up! with Sports Pack, but it was a while ago. I think I can feel the difference in the extra power (though am hardly letting it rev), but can definitely feel the difference in the suspension - and I like the extra firmness. The steering is very precise a little bit go-karty and hence great for town.

Eldest daughter has paired her phone with the M&M and we giggled when it read out text messages. Obviously being a small boy at heart I want to test if it'll read out swear words... (yes, I am still about 7 inside my head)

Did like that the M&M sprung into life and told me I was down to 25mile range and asked if I wanted directions to a filling station. I didnt, but it did allow me to go into town and test "Streetfighter Mode" amongst all the other people making their weekly pilgrimage into the town centre. I liked the "buzzyness" of the car quite a lot. It doesnt feel small, it feels "purposeful"

(Actually, on "small" - I sat in the back during the dealer feature demo at collection and I had plenty of room. Its a bit of a tardis)

Only thing, and this is minor, I dont like so far is the hill assist. We live on quite a steep hill and so I either want no hill assist, "leave me alone I know what I'm doing" or it sit there on it, until I tell the car different. But it doesn't do that - it holds for about a second and then releases, which is a bit disconcerting , but I'll get used to it. ( I wanted to roll back about 1/2 a car length down the hill but you need to actually reverse or wait for it to release)

Open road , on the flat at 60mph - its a nice place to be, though I did have to drop down a gear up hills. Thats not a criticism really, am looking forward to it being fun to hussle it along. At 60, its a relatively quiet and comfortable experience, and once on my own and applied some music the sound quality is very acceptable.

Overall, I really like it. I need to remind myself that it was bought as a "Pool Car" for my 3 teenage kids and that its not mine (except legally). But as we are now a 4car family and its firmly established in my mind as "Car 2" I can foresee aggro when the kids want it, and its gone "missing" (I probably aught to pair my phone to the M&M so I can receive their calls of admonishment.)

Overall - nice one VW!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thank you for your experiences!

The UK high up!s have 6 speakers as standard?
Yes, the sound is "very (or highly) acceptable".

The Fender system surely is better - but with 6 speakers the up! already has a good sound.

And at 60 mph it is much more quiet than my former Lupo ...

Have a lot of fun with your car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cadfael said:
Thank you for your experiences!

The UK high up!s have 6 speakers as standard?
Yes - 6 speakers.
And yes, probably the Fender system is better but this one is OK, and that's good enough. (especially for the kids music, because frankly that isn't music its just people shouting at each other....)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Congratulations! I love the sports pack, once you get confident with the car you can really throw it around and the cornering limits before it gives in and slides into gentle understeer are surprisingly high...true low-powered fun!

'1000 miles' review of my own high up coming soon (currently drafting it) which will give my views on everything from fuel economy to handling to ownership experience.

Not giving much away to say it's a very positive report - and so far the car has been mechanically faultless.Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
upmancotswolds said:
'1000 miles' review of my own high up coming soon (currently drafting it) which will give my views on everything from fuel economy to handling to ownership experience.
Cool. I look forward to it. I imagine your report will be similar to ours, as our cars are theoretically the same, except for our extra doors!

With regard to Fuel Economy - the only measurement I've made so far is an 8mile journey from collecting a child from a "sleepover" . 50.5mpg and a Think Blue Trainer score of 87/100 - not that I know what that means yet!

I've not checked to see if there as an update to the M&M , nor fitted my mudflaps - but am happy with the car mats.
Wont be any mileage this week, back to our other cars for the working week.

Edited by: Jelly

1 - 20 of 31 Posts