Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following several comments on here about the noise from the rear wheel arches when it's raining, and having read GarethB's thread(thanks, Gareth) about the liners on his new his Cross Up! - I ordered a pair of rear wheel arch liners at the dealer's this afternoon for my Move Up.

I had a look at a Cross Up they had in the showroom and the liners appear to be fairly straightforward to install.

Quite expensive at around £80 for the pair, but they should give much better protection through the winter and cut noise dramatically. I may even slap some Dynamat in there somewhere, if it looks doable.

Part no.s if you're interested:

1S0810971B

1S0810972B

IMPORTANT EDIT Nov. 29: having attempted to fit these, I can now confirm they are NOT compatible with non-Cross Ups!

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
386 Posts
You're better off ordering the parts for the eUp!, much better fit than the Cross Up parts. You also need a set of adaptorsand some other stuff. Below a list... (12E stands for the eUp!)

12E 810 969 Radschale 1x
12E 810 970 Radschale 1x
12E 810 429 Halter 1x
12E 810 430 Halter 1x
1SO 810 987 9B9 Adapter 1x
1SO 810 988 9B9 Adapter 1x
N 106 213 01 Mutter 4x
N 908 338 01 Mutter 6x
N 909 747 01 Schraube 18x
811 807 577 C Mutter 2x

Grtz

Gun

Edited by: GunSpeed

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just beware if you do fit them. If you get water trapped behind them which causes corrosion, VW won't help you. There have been several problems in recent years with wheel arch corrosion on different models caused by friction eroding the paint which then rusts. I'm leaving mine as they are.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re. corrosion, I am thinking that if this can be dealt with on the Cross, then why not on the other models? The screws appear to be plastic and I would imagine VW have already incorporated the holes. If not, drilling is fine as long as you rustproof the holes properly.

I will let you know how I get on.

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
198 Posts
GunSpeed said:
You're better off ordering the parts for the eUp!, much better fit than the Cross Up parts. You also need a set of adaptorsand some other stuff. Below a list... (12E stands for the eUp!)12E 810 969 Radschale 1x
12E 810 970 Radschale 1x
Are there corresponding parts for the front arches too? I've tried googling the quoted terms, but couldn't find anything meaningful.

·
Registered
438 Posts
UpMan said:
Re. corrosion, I am thinking that if this can be dealt with on the Cross, then why not on the other models? The screws appear to be plastic and I would imagine VW have already incorporated the holes. If not, drilling is fine as long as you rustproof the holes properly.

I will let you know how I get on.
I only mention it because VW will do anything to get out of a warranty claim. If VW fit it then it's ok, if you fit a non spec item yourself, you're on your own if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scrubnut said:
I only mention it because VW will do anything to get out of a warranty claim. If VW fit it then it's ok, if you fit a non spec item yourself, you're on your own if anything goes wrong.

You're right, but I'm on good terms with my dealer and work in car restoration, so I'm quite confident they can be installed correctly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ptae2000e said:
Are there corresponding parts for the front arches too? I've tried googling the quoted terms, but couldn't find anything meaningful.

All Ups in France come with front liners, at least new ones do. Don't they in the UK?

·
Registered
583 Posts
perksm said:
Are the captive fixings in the body? Cos drilling holes is not a good idea
There are, but they need to be opened if you follow the instructions.

However, somebody has fitted the E-up arches without using the body holes.
The E-up arches have a patch of insulation material on them, and they fit quite snugly using just the bolts fore and aft where the bumper / wheel spads are fixed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is interesting that the E-UP wheel arches have insulation...
I have been driving my Cross up! back and forth from Bielefeld to Dusseldorf the last few days, racked up 1100km already... and at 120/130kmh it is quiet and comfortable in the cabin,the amount of sound deadening even driving at these speeds is great, the sound in the cabin is not that loud I can still have a conversation without the need to shout... and it is comfortable on a longer journey.
This is even with winter tyres fitted, which generally create more noise.
This makes me think that maybe VW have put insulation on these arch covers as well...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A cursory inspection of the rear wheel arches last night leads me to think the installation of the liners won't be too problematic. I will try a bit of Dynamat sound deadening as per the e-Up! and see how it all fits together.

·
Registered
198 Posts
UpMan said:
All Ups in France come with front liners, at least new ones do. Don't they in the UK?
Uh, they do?
Actually I've just assumed from the amount of noise I get at any greater speed, that I have as little insulation as possible, everywhere... but, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to check before making any orders...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just check firstyou have the square holes forhousing the captive nuts. Theyweren't in mine 2012model year& I had to do this myself. It was a bit of a faff and took a bit of time but I got them installed in the end.
As to extra soundproofing you don't need it. The underseal that is already there in thewheelhouse is enough tosupress the noise with the liner on top of it.

As to wearing the paint, you aregoing to do extremely well to abrade paint, 2mm of underseal and e-coat with a plastic liner. I think the VW problem is to do with having no paint on the inner wings to start with, something theUp doesn't suffer from.

Edited by: windyup

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried to fit the liners today - they are NOT compatible with non-Cross Ups! Took the parts back to my local dealer and they gave me a credit note.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No screw holes in the wing (didn't fancy drilling new ones), rear bumper a slightly different shape.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts