Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong section!

I'm looking to be buying my first car in March and I'm a little confused as to how the process works...

If I go to my local UK Volkswagen dealer this week, would I be paying for the car on the spot and going on a waiting list for the Up! to be built and delivered some time after it's March release - possibly months after depending on how popular the car proves to be?

Or would I just be putting down a deposit for the car, and then paying for it once I actually go to pick the car up from the dealer?

Also if I order this week - can anyone take an educated guess of what are the chances of me receiving the car in March/April?

The shame is that I need the car for April at the latest and if it's looking like Up! Production is going to be awefully backlogged, like I know popular VWs can be, it would mean I'd need to look at competitors models that are already on the showroom floors :(

Thanks for your help!

·
294 Posts
Hi,welcome to the site!

You would usually go in, spec up and place your order (leaving a deposit, signing the paperwork etc.). This will then get your Up! onto the VW system and then a build slot and date will be assigned.

If you are taking out VW finance the paymentsshouldn'tstart until the time.

Looking at what some others have posted on here, they are getting build slots and delivery times of March so I think if you order this week, you should be fine.

·
294 Posts
Excellent! What did you go for then?

You'll have to keep us updated with how your order progresses too!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha - yes, very exciting!

I went for the High Up! In black with black interior, going for a stealth buggy vibe

It's my first car so my priorities where to get something safe, cheap to insure (24 Year old Male who just passed his test, astronomical insurance for most cars) economical (needing to drive around 40miles a day for commute) and with some nice luxury extras to make the drive comfortable - the Up! seems to hit the nail on the head for all of these!

Just wish I could have seen one in the flesh - but from all the reviews and buzz I can see that you don't get much better than this car for my needs!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Great choice! I have gone for the same but with the Sport and Sound pack...Hope that it looks good! I relate to the insurance issue being just a year older. But my dealer dropped a hint that its a real possibility that VW will be offering a years free insurance as an incentive to pull in buyers. Hopefully this comes true and can help save some more pennies!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, that would be good! I hope I'd still get that if they do pull out that offer ;)!

What is in the sound and sport pack - I tried not to look at them in case I was tempted in the show room! Trying to be frugal - but I got a nice suprise bonus today so can maybe add to my order this early in the game :p

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well I am assuming your ordering in the UK?! The sound pack is just £100 and adds additional speakers for improved sound quality. The Sport pack is £450 and adds very nice 16'' alloys in a silver/black design that work really well with black paint. It also adds sports suspension that makes the car sit slightly lower and handle better as well as giving you tinted rear windows. So i think a pretty good combo! It is easy to runaway with the options, but the discount i got helped ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got a call Volkswagen confirming my place on the build list - should have the manufacturing dae next week :D

Whilst on the phone Iamended the order to add the sound pack. I'm very much into my music and even though the Sound Pack might not be up there with the best speakers you can put in a car - I'd rather not add any aftermarket gear to the car so I'd like to get the best quality I can from the factory! I dont like it loud, but I like clarity and depth!

This black "stealth buggy" I'm ordering is going to look cracking out on the road with a bit of power metal singing from the speakers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
5 th March is the 1st day the cars are published to the Sales Room. The chaps sit at the computer at silly o'clock to put in for their requirements, so it depends on how quick they are as to how many of their cars they will get.
My sales man told me this little piece of info ........ as I tried to tell him that I wanted mine for the mid march.
Now I just have to think of a name for her...Daisy perhaps, as in "Up's a Daisy"

·
Registered
655 Posts
Useful bit of info thanks :) I was apparently the first order at my dealer so hope it aids me in getting one! What did you go for?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey, my names Craig, Im looking to order a new VW Up, currently I've got a 2011 Polo, just got it last year but im not 100% happy with it so Im wanting a smaller cheaper car .... the Up :)

Going in next week to see about ordering.

My question, how much of a deposit did you guys put down???

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes, I put £500 deposit in to start with but then decided to buy th Up black which is £750 more so I put a bit extra in. But yes the minimum is £500. Let us know what you decide to do

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey, thanks for your replies! I might pop into my VW dealer tomorrow and ask some questions. Im looking at ordering a High Up, in candy white with the sports pack, sound pack and spare wheel. The 1.0 litre 75BHP engine sounds like a better engine than my 1.2 60 in my Polo SE.

I'll let you guys know what the outcome is :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
In our polo the spare wheel is under the bottom shelf in the boot. I would presume there's a spare for one in the Up, it'll be a space saver one though!!

The reason I'm wanting a spare wheel is 2 months after owning our polo the rear driver side tyre blew out for no reason and had to change it. All the years I've owned older cars (even a Smart Fortwo that had NO spare wheel) I never had to change a tyre, first time buying a brand new car and what happens? Burst tyre -_-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lovejimbo said:
Bah - of course the spare wheel! I forgot that...

Does anyone know if the car has a space for the spare wheel, and if it does - do you still get that space if you don't order the Spare wheel from the dealer?

I have test run a high-Up, and the spare wheel is located beneath the bottom of the boot. If no spare wheel is in place, you have the extra space available for what you need...

Its good! ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Going to see the dealer tomorrow. Going for the high up! in white with
sports pack, sound pack, full size spare wheel, leather look seats and black dash also thinking
about sun roof.

Edited by: gary02tdi

1 - 20 of 198 Posts