Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few days away from Central Scotland to Lancaster area. Overall about 61 mpg - so quite economical - oh yes and a new tyre.
Happily driving down M74 at about 60 with radio on. Nothing feeling unusual about the car and no odd noises. Did at one point think that road surface was a bit odd - but only for a few minutes. Lady in car towing caravan waving at us like mad as they passed us - and pointing to back of our car. Pulled onto hard shoulder. One VERY flat rear tyre with sidewall beginning to look very distressed. Thank goodness for spare wheel. Thankfully alloy was not damaged.Did take almost 2 hours to find tyre depot with right size of tyre - and fortunately same make as on the car already - and also 25% discount this week. But really strange there was absolutely no hint of flat tyre while driving - perhaps would have been more indication on normal roads with bends etc.First such experience in almost 50 years driving.Edited by: ospreywatcher

·
Read Only
110 Posts
Just give thanks to modern tubeless tyre design and manufacturing.
50 years ago you may have easily been killed with a puncture.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You were wise to have bought a spare and not just relied on the rubbish can of gunk. I doubt it would have even worked on a tyre as dilapidated as the punctured one you had. First thing I did on our Mii was to purchase a full-size spare. I once had a blow-out on a motorway in my A-Class after trying to dodge a load of rubble on the carriageway, and the ABS/ESP did a great job from a safety point of view, but the tyre had a hole across the tread that I was able to literally put my hand through. I doubt the Tyre Repair Kit would have worked on that one!!! Glad the only injury was a small hit to the wallet!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the comments - the High Up comes with a spare on a steel rim - because it is actually a different size of tyre to the ones on the alloys they restrict you to 50 mph. Hardest job was tracking down a replacement as few tyre depots outside the cities seem to stock the Up size. Also quite impressed at the other drivers - my wife walked about 100 yards away from the car towards traffic and was ready to yell if I needed to get out the way of anything. Nearly 50% traffic moved lanes if they were able, especially lorries. When we had Ford KAs I bought a full size wheel and tyre and modified the boot space to accommodate. We do too much driving on single track roads in the Highlands to trust in a bottle of gunk.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had a puncture some time ago Ospreywatcher and wondered what the difference was in tyre diameters so I worked it out.Because of the different aspect ratio between the alloy 15" and spare 14" the diameters are only different by 2mm !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts