Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">My baby up! is at my dealers and being got ready !!!!!! I can pick it up! early next week

So.. time to also clean and smarten up my present car and get it onto the market.

I always sell my cars on the "Autotrader" website as it reaches a massive range of customers all over the UK and I usually get great responses. So I've been looking at the competition for my Citroen "C2 Code" on there today.... and though their cars seem OK, their presentation online is generally rather poor.

GOOD

When you come to sell your cars online there are a few simple tricks that I use that work really, really well. As you are all my... either already, or prospective... up! bessy m8's I thought I'd let you into these tricks.

1/ Take some fabulous photos. Get in close so that the car fills the image.. the buyer wants to SEE the car clearly not the scenery or street background. They are looking for THEIR ideal car.

2/ Use a simple photo editing application to CROP and RESIZE the images to a decent size. I like to make my images 800 pixels wide and 500 pixels high which means their file size is quite small. They then look fabulous as thumbnails on Autotrader and really stand out from the others with a little top & bottom border
. They then also look fabulous when the buyer views the larger images in the autotrader gallery view. ( There are FREE photo editing packages online.. just google for them. I use a cheap package called "Paint Shop Pro" to edit mine ).

3/ Tell the photo editing software tooptimize/fix the photofor you. This generally lightens dark images and gets them into a better balance. It's surprising just how many really limp & DARK images there are on autotrader.

4/ Bend your knees when taking the photos to get a lower photo. This displays the car in a better perspective than if you stand up straight and gives a better view of how cars are seen in normal circumstances.

5/ Take the car to a nice, country or leafy location.. avoid tatty & cluttered street shots, or in front of garages, shops, bins etc. etc. ( So many sellers have TATTY images !!! - They are totally uninspiring to a buyer !!! )

6/ You can typically show 9 images on Autotrader. Concentrate firstly on the "money shots"... those from each of the 4 corners of the car. They show the side and front / rear of the car and allow the buyers to quickly see just what they are buying. Then show a few "Detailed" shots of the cars outside. Finally take some closeups of the inside of the car to finalise your story and offering. Process the images as above and create 800x500 pixel .jpg files ready to upload.
( Choose your MAIN, BEST image to load in 1st place.. this will be used for the thumbnail and MUST be interesting to get the buyer to look at your other photos and details. )

7/ Research your car model and what OTHER sellers are promoting in their similar cars. Get all the salient details together in a "word" or text file regarding MAKE/MODEL/YEAR/Engine size, gearbox, special features etc. etc. Then Create your STORY TEXT around these. ensure you answer the obvious questions that everyone will ask.. Mileage, MOT months left, TAX remaining, Body condition, Tyres, Service History etc. etc.

8/ Research what the competition is selling theirs for versus the age of their cars. Market yours below these if possible, but start at your higher price offering. If there are no takers after a few days then lower the price to a level to get the sale. Be realistic.. your 3 wheeled Reliant Van will not get you top £££££ !!! If there are buyers that REALLY are after your exact spec car then it will sell at the higher price.

Here's the MAIN image and a detailed one I took, cropped and resized yesterday. ( I drove 1/2 mile to a canal side car park with nice trees etc. and took the snaps. I also always do this on a sunny-ish day ).

If you are REALLY quick you may be able to view my Autotrader advert here ( Click the thumbnails to enlarge )...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201215463346966/postcode/HP217LU

ALSO.. When I take photos of my lovely up! next week I'll use some of these techniques to post my own up! images back to this forum
. Maybe you can also use these tips !

Hope this proves of interest and helps some of you in the future

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Top tips!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts