Up Owners Club banner

Over-filled oil.

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  911ts3 
#1 ·
I put a bit too much oil in my Move Up!.

The level is showing that the oil is about 4mm over max on the dipstick.

Will this do any harm do you think?

Thanks.

#2 ·
If your oil pan is too full, oil can get into places where it's not meant to be and be affected by the parts working in that area, which could in turn do harm to the rest of your engine.

Thankfully, you have only barely gone over and it shouldn't do much harm at all.

#4 ·
Driving the car carefully should burn off the oil, it can in cases damage the catalytic converter as too much oil can result in oil entering the combustion chambers.

I'm not a mechanic and could be wrong but this is an observation given you're not bucket loads over

If you have the facilities opening the oil drain plug really quickly will solve your issue

#5 ·
Hi Stephen,
Easy thing to happen; someone did the same not that long ago:
Yes, overfilling the engine can damage the engine and anything downstream from the engine, smaller engines have less tolerance for error, and the odds of damage go up the more you've overfilled and the harder you drive the engine. If you look at the dipstick, and see how long the 'ok' range is (hatched area B in the manual's diagramme, p.189), and then consider how much 4mm is in comparison, you'll get an idea of how much extra oil is in there.
I will just ask if by the 'max line' you mean the top of the hatched area (the B/A line) or up onto the bend (beyond A). If you're above the bend it needs to be drained (especially as you have the means to do so), but if you're just on the bend I would still advise draining out the excess for peace of mind.

#9 ·
DON'T leave it in ! Much better to be slightly under than any amount over, and do it as soon as possible..

Reactions: Freddo
#11 ·
I would be iffy about driving it . drop the oil out first and don't risk the damage.

Reactions: Freddo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.