Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I should think that applies to all car drivers. I have been with some who find it impossible to execute a smooth gear change in a manual car. Goodness knows how they would have got on with double declutching. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
128 Posts
Beevee said:
I should think that applies to all car drivers. I have been with some who find it impossible to execute a smooth gear change in a manual car. Goodness knows how they would have got on with double declutching.
I totally agree. I had to double declutch in my Ford Prefect when I learned to drive. There was no syncromesh on first gear and it was a requirement when turning sharp corners on the driving test.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm still getting the hang of easing off the go pedal when it's due to change a gear. Although with my current driving style ""” trying to maximise fuel economy ""” half the time I don't notice the gear changes even when I'm not paying attention.

I have no problems with the ASG in the up! so much so I have no desires on going back to a manual gearbox. Although I wouldn't mind a full automatic. Maybe on the next car. However that may well be another ASG up! Now I know the gearbox copes with crap traffic I encounter without overheating (10 miles of stop start traffic over an hour and forty minutes).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never driven an Up equipped with ASG and have always wondered why the motoring press don't like them (I've came across quite a few negative reviews). Perhaps they've just been used to 'normal' torque converter automatics and have not taken the time to get used to a robotised manual box.

We will probably see more and more cars in the future being equipped with ASG, or something very similar, possibly to reduce emissions and/or fuel consumption (manufacturers have already been testing gearboxes with eight and nine gear ratios).

·
Registered
19 Posts
HI Folks you may not have noticed my separate technical threads on problems with ASG on the UP!.. will not change gear properly going up hill.. And yes I know what and ASG box is having driven MCC Smart ForTwo for 10 years. Well aware of lifting off to force the "lumpy" change. We actually ok with a well thought out ASG box.

Our UP! is ok on the flat and moderate hills but anything reasonably steep the box/software gets completely confused and to make matters worse the manual over ride is completely hap hazard.. and its not related to revs as it randomly refuses to change across the rev range.. Unfortunately we live in a hilly area so really looking for a solution from VW.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I test drove an ASG today for about 20km. It was perfectly fine but I can understand why some drivers would hate it. I drive very smoothly so it suits my style of driving but I could see others not being able to live with it. In general I was very impressed with the car and would be tempted to trade down to one when the time to change comes. The one I drove was a Groove up with just about every option on the order sheet ticked. I could have lived without the 17" tyres.
I didn't get to test it on the 1:5 hill outside where I live. Just on the flat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
before you buy find a hill.. I hope i just have a rouge one.. so far getting good support from main agent Motorline.. it seems a difficult problem to pin down..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Today I had a base model Seat Mii with a 60bhp engine and it was lovely over a 200km journey of a mixture of motorway and windy roads. Leaves me wondering if I really need the 75bhp engine or ASG. On the windy roads it certainly was very pleasant and I think the ASG would have been suffering there of not being in the right gear.

·
Registered
957 Posts
proud_darcy said:
Today I had a base model Seat Mii with a 60bhp engine and it was lovely over a 200km journey of a mixture of motorway and windy roads. Leaves me wondering if I really need the 75bhp engine or ASG. On the windy roads it certainly was very pleasant and I think the ASG would have been suffering there of not being in the right gear.

I had a 60bhp car when mine was being serviced and would not hesitate to have one. When I bought my UP! I fancied a higher trim level and they all come with the 75bhp engine over here but I see no problem with the 60bhp motor !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts