Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a (surprisingly significant) paint chip on my bonnet....presumably this happened from a stone or the like...am I alone in thinking this is kind of unusual for a car of this age/mileage (Oct 13, 6,500). I did have a respray done on this panel (VW certified repair, through insurance - a vehicle backed into me!), could it possible be a knock on affect of this?

Interested in your thoughts and whether I may be able to pursue VW/the authorised repairer to patch it up or whether this is simply bad luck.

Picture:https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8i7sv6j3jxeatc/2014-05-07%2019.13.48.jpg?m=

Cheers

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm afraid it's Sod's law. I picked up a chip in my windscreen within 24 hours of picking up my new car. I have also had a couple of chips but I took out the chip cover and they have been invisibly repaired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was chip cover?! They could have sold me on that...

Likewise with the windscreen, putting off that repair!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would think that you have just had some bad luck with a stone hitting your bonnet, and not a knock on effect from the previous repair.

There was chip cover? I would have gone for that as well.

The only chip cover I have is the lid on the deep fat fryer.

Go well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Might be worth taking a visit to your local dealer, you might get a claim under the paint warranty. Have a warranty claim with VW at the moment for rust on my Golf, the paint shop manager told me stone chips are covered by the paint warranty and they have repainted a few cars for this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting (and perhaps contrary to what I've read from the warranty!). I do think the damage is disproportionate for a stone chip, so I'll drop my dealership's service email a line with a picture attached.

Sounds like they should push the chip warranty/insurance a bit harder!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts