Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years and many new cars I've come to a conclusion. I always pick up 2 stone chips in the first 3 months and then there won't be any more however long I keep the car.

Why is that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought my UP in April, what happens a week after I buy it? First stone chip in the front window ever!

Driven around in older cars for years without a single one!

·
Registered
74 Posts
First week in borrowed Up! - stone cracked front window
First week in my own new Up! - Stone cracked front window...

I guess we're just unlucky.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
markup said:
I have two on the bonnet 
 I think the bonnet is a bit flimsy 
It's down to the stone and the paint. Hefty Audis get chips too and there's nothing flimsy about those. There's also a horrible noise when it happens that makes you feel sick

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Took out Auto Protect when purchasing my Up! Two call outs in the first six months and chips dealt with.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beevee said:
Took out Auto Protect when purchasing my Up! Two call outs in the first six months and chips dealt with.
I've heard of this. How do they deal with paint chips and do they do a good job?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not done by "chips away" whoever they are. Very pleased with my repairs would not know there had been a chip. You always find a moaner on here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've had so far:

- When I took my first Up! back to the dealer, the next day they had a golf ball (yes, golf ball from the course next to it) hit the bonnet of it. They had to do some bodywork before selling it on.
- When taking my second Up! back to the dealer, on my way there a BMW threw a fist size rock to the window, cracked from a long way. Thankfully the dealership didn't bother keeping me liable for it as I was picking up another car from them

- Last week in Cornwall another BMW threw a rock into my new Ups windscreen, thankfully only causing a chip this time.

What's up with this!?!?! and these **** BMW's...

Edited by: ZillUp

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lots of you having issues with windscreens I see.

Paint wise - the up paint seems to be quite soft. I kid you not - the bonnet on my up had been used as a writing surface because only in certain light you can make out... "04-14-1 "

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I was thinking the paint on mine was quite tough. Mind you, I did have a Ford Ka (old model) before. Bits of tar are the problem I have. The Up seems less susceptible than the Ford, it tends to stick less.

After about 6 months I had a large crack half way across the windscreen caused by a big stone on the motorway. It made me jump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If chips away are bad who would people recommend? I have a chip in the bonnet on my Honda Jazz that I need to get dealt with. Hoping not too expensive!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
With you people getting windscreens smashed by BMW's and other cars: Have you considered keeping a safe distance between you and the car infront of you?

In my current car (A Nissan Patrol) ive gotten 3 or 4 stones to the window, and only after i changed my mentality towards distance-keeping, I haven't gotten a single rock to my windscreen.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My chip was due to a lorry coming from the opposite side of the road... But I agree keep a safe distance

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had cracked windscreens from cars going the other way on the motorway. You can see the stone coming like in slow motion.Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
217 Posts
I always keep a safe distance - I'm not the tailgating type of person. But when we are talking about motorway speeds, everything moves at quite a rate e.g. you don't have to be that close to get flung by a fast projectile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts