Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer wants to sell me superguard for my new up however after seeing mercedes efforts on two of my dads cars there is no way that we will pay £275 for the Up.

So I would like to do it myself. I have a basket of stuff on mypreferredcar product suppliers website which comes to about £90 which is a great saving from what VW want to charge.

Im thinking that the procedure that I will use on the car is this:

- Normal wash
- Clay bar
- Wax/Polish
- Sealant

and then use a fabric protector on the seats.

I hope its ok to post some links to some products that I am unsure on.
For the top coat I am thinking of using this:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=164

and for the interior I'm thinking either:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1094 although its horriblyexpensive.

or
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/chemical-guys-fabric-guard/prod_182.html which I'm not to
sure if it as good for the seats.

After the car has been clayed I don't think that there should be to much to sort out on the paint so I think a very light polish would be best. This is the most confusing bit however, as there isn't a consistant naming system for polishes!

Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I now use autoglym aqua wax after cleaning and it comes up with a good shine.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ye I always use autoglyms aqua wax, whats the point in washing, drying then waxing if you can get rid of the drying part! I just wash, spray aqua wax on, wipe over to spread it evenly and then buff off! And it is a good product!Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The good bit with superguard etc, is, although it pricey, you get guarantees with it. For example, if you stain your seat ad can't get it out, neither can your dealer who's applied it, they will replace the seat for you.
Now I know the product should stop staining anyway, I think the guarantees are worth the money, as it really is very little if you look at the big picture. £300 odd quid when you're spending £10/11K with a lengthy guarantee, no brainer in my eyes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know the guarantees are a little bit of a con. I know from Mercedes care products you have to prove that you have only maintained the car with their products otherwise you loose the guarantee. I'm not sure if the same with superguard but that has been going through my head.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Davec86 said:
..........£300 odd quid when you're spending £10/11K with a lengthy guarantee, no brainer in my eyes.

The problem with it is that it is not tactile. It is a nebulous expense on top of having parted with your hard earned dosh.

Most people will set a budget for the car and spend to that budget. Being confronted with another £300 expense at such a time is a bit of a no, no.

I've always felt that there is an element of bullying at this stage. As in "...... what? You're spending 10 grand on a car but you don't want to look after it...."

I've taken it before, but would never do so again. As an earlier post says, I would rather do it myself or even better persuade the dealer to include it in the original price.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can buy a complete Supagard kit off of Ebay for around £9, that is for the interior and exterior protector. The interior treatment is a spray and once the interior is clean takes around 10 minutes to spray on and then leave to dry overnight. The Supagard exterior sealant is just spread on via a sponge than contains the sealant. Once applied leave to dry and buff off.

Once applied you can use any wax but not polish to deepen the shine. Now on my fifth car I have treated myself and has helped, but certainly no wonder treatment the dealer would have you believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts