Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to become a new Up owner - please share tactics and strategies for parking - where, how what to watch for, what to recommend??? My car park at work is now going to terrify me as its quite big - very busy - extremely tight!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Use Mirrors, check blind spots, take it easy, avoid hitting other cars, maker sure the parking spot is big enough. Make sure you pay and display if need be etc...

Edited by: Lee in Denmark

·
Registered
198 Posts
Avoid hitting any doors, like the ones of your own yard; don't park on spots reserved for disabled persons. It, uh, happened to a friend of mine.

Use only the clutch to go as slowly as you feel comfortable, brake immediately if you think things are going wrong. Better to temporarily irritate someone, if that happens, than to hit anything/anyone.
Beeping rear sensors are extremely useful (I wouldn't manage without them).

·
Registered
540 Posts
You've picked the best car IMHO for parking in tight spaces. I've only driven it on test drives but the turning circle is tight and its small enough to fit into little spaces with lots of room to spare!

But I echo above, take your time and be patient. The car is pretty easy to handle so as soon as you're used to it you should be fine! Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Park it as far from anything as humanly possible!
Then hire a man with a bloody great dog to stand and watch it all day, that's oughta do it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
And never, but never, park next to any 4 x 4

The bigger and more expensive they are the more inept the parking becomes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just drive onto your car park as fast as you can! aim for a space and slam the handbrake on and go for a 180!

Only joking!

I told my Amy when she goes to tesco in my lovely little ice cube get away from all the nut bags! In other words park at the top of a Isle instead of trying to get to the front, at my tesco people park so close if they could actually drive through the door they would do! It's better to walk a little rather than come back and see a dent or scratch! I always try and find drive through space or if I can't always reverse in so then I make it easier for my self to just drive out and off rather than pissing around reversing seeing if anybodies there or waiting for cars! a least when you reverse in your making anybody else wait for you!

·
Registered
202 Posts
leave it at home and take public transport :p

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here in Hampshire it's a joke as well

Go well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i always park mine at an end of a row to minimise % of doors into car by half :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
All good advice. Also, always check and avoid scruffy cars, cars with child seats, big 4wd school run wagons and cars with only 3 doors as they have bigger doors and can give your nice little Up a tidy whack!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Dadog said:
All good advice. Also, always check and avoid scruffy cars, cars with child seats, big 4wd school run wagons and cars with only 3 doors as they have bigger doors and can give your nice little Up a tidy whack!
Never thought of that! As soon as I read watch out for scruffy cars it dawned on me! If they don't respect there car they wont respect yours!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Brain wave...always park between two other Ups!...Respect.
Go well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You've got new Trams Gary....or maybe not yet? Great City though.
Go well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I always park as far away as possible, and give myself a minimum of at least a car space either side! Even when it's hammering down with rain, snowing, blowing a force 9 gale, I don't care. Sometimes though I come back to find despite having a hundred other spaces, someone has parked next to me!

The other piece of advice I can give you is, if a car is parked next to you, ALWAYS have a walk round your car, just in case any damage has been caused. If there is, and there's any paint transfer, and it matches the car next to you, you've got them bang to rights! Then just wait till the owner turns up and give em some stick!!!,, I mean speak to them politely. Ahmmmm.

·
Registered
261 Posts
and never ever drive it over to France! We lived in Nice for 4 yrs and took a brand spanker Pug 306 in order to 'blend in' with the natives....waste of time! They all drive/park like madmen! If I found only one new dent in a week I considered that as a result C'est la vie :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good idea about the three door ploy. I avoid 4x4s and old cars with dents.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts