Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Forgive my lack of knowledge but I've just received my new High Up in red...loving it. I was surprised to not have a Passenger Air Bag Deactivation light on the dash and no deactivation switch next to the passenger door. This must be standard in the UK but I know they have it in Brazil and other countries ?

I would appreciate some feedback on this as this is the only small surprise really....everything else is superb. Clearly, the only drawback is no child seat in the front.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my Mii the deactivation switch is on the driver's side of the dashboard, only visible when the front door is open. The warning light is in the central cluster, where the buttons for hazards and rear window heater are

·
Registered
164 Posts
drfluffhill said:
Hi all,
Forgive my lack of knowledge but I've just received my new High Up in red...loving it. I was surprised to not have a Passenger Air Bag Deactivation light on the dash and no deactivation switch next to the passenger door. This must be standard in the UK but I know they have it in Brazil and other countries ?

I would appreciate some feedback on this as this is the only small surprise really....everything else is superb. Clearly, the only drawback is no child seat in the front.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter.
The version made in Brazil, do'nt have it, like the european, because the deactivation is automatic by a sensor on the seat.
On the user manual says to not transport any object on the passenger seat, to prevent the false activation of the Passenger Air Bag.

·
Super Moderator
1,077 Posts
In the UK, the airbag deactivation switch is only on Ups specced with the city crash sensor, and is located on the edge of the dashand is hidden when the door is closed. I asked VW about turningthe airbag off, there is no kit available and will have to be coded outby a dealer for legal reasons, as there has to be a sticker in the vehicle to show its switched off, and a form filled in and sent to VW.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi just reading your post you don't get a deactivated front airbags switch as it's an extra
a good dealer should of stated it at the time.but it's so annoying as most car manufacturers
fit as normal hopefully you can get it sorted by an autoelectriction fingers crossed.
Regards phill.˜ 

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies...its not a problem in the least, just a thing I wanted checked out. Strange how the Mi has the switch and light as standard but not the Up ??

Peter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah that is a bit odd. I have the switch on the driver's side, visible when the door is open, and the warning light on the dash.

Could it be something that is not on the base model of each triple? Like the split in the rear seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I have the High Up...the top spec model, so nothing to do with base model etc. An earlier post said the Up has a sensor built into the passenger seat which activates and deactivates automatically when sitting on it; this is fine but they should make it more clear how it works at the showroom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have a 2018 UP and handbook says if there is no switch you need Service to deactivate? Also there is no warning light on dash on the right centre. Where would it say it is automatically operated when sitting on it if this was the case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Ive had my UP Beats for 2 years and to be honest for the money I paid, it is the most basic car I've ever owned. My daughter paid the same price for her Peugeot where the front passenger air bag can be turned off.
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Peter.
My daughter paid the same price for her Peugeot as I did for my Up Beats and to be honest, her car is of much better quality and more value for money. She was amazed we couldn't even turn off my front air bag! There is no CD player either so unless you have a bluetooth device you're stuck with a digital radio that doesn't even pick up all the stations and for some reason keeps defaulting back to Absolute Rock. Nothing short of a pile of rubbish for the ridiculous price they are - I wouldnt buy another VW Up again thats for sure.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Still using CDs? And do you really carry them around in a car? I'll sell you an old 8-track player!

A 128G SD-card is what, £20? That carries only about 1,500 CDs as 320k MP3s, but it's only about a quarter of my music collection.

Fair enough though, the airbag switch was an option and not standard....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts