Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Roakley said:
Is it possible to retro fit a key switch to activate/deactivate passenger air bag??
Hi Roakley.
Technically yes it is possible, if you had the isolation switch, but you would have to be VERY careful, when splicing or cutting into the airbag wires, as they are very sensitive and set off extremely easily.
I work at Toyota Manufacturing in Derby, where we build the Avensis & Auris, and if anybody got caught doing this , they would be sacked immediately, due to the air bag being safety critical.

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all. If the airbag wiring is tampered with, then the air bag could deploy prematurely, ie, when just driving along, or even not at all, if you are in an accident. It might throw up some error codes aswell. I've got a lot of experience investigating defects, and stripping/re-building cars, but I wouldn't want to risk the safety of my passenger. Standard procedure at work, is to replace the entire wire harness, if any issues are found with one, rather than risk repairing it, which usually requires a lot more work, but when safety is involved, you just can't risk it. I've seen hundreds of air bags test fired in our air bag chamber, & it never ceases to amaze me, at the ferocity and speed they fire at.I'm not trying to scare monger, but I wouldn't advise anybody to tamper with any air bag.

Thanks to whoever thanked me.
I'm just glad to offer advice.

Matt

·
Registered
113 Posts
Roakley said:
Is it possible to retro fit a key switch to activate/deactivate passenger air bag??

Isn't this standard when a passenger airbag is installed?

I have the option to activate and deactivate in my 2013 Move Up...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
On my 2012 high up it was in the option pack with the city breaking. I didn't bother.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rednaxela said:
On my 2012 high up it was in the option pack with the city breaking. I didn't bother.

That might explain it then...

City braking sensors are an as standard feature here in Denmark on all versions of the UP...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Lee in Denmark said:
Rednaxela said:

City braking sensors are an as standard feature here in Denmark on all versions of the UP...
Same here in Switzerland.

Apparently the Brits aren't prone to driving into stationary objects as we are here on the continent.

·
Registered
811 Posts
vwild1 said:
Lee in Denmark said:
Rednaxela said:

Same here in Switzerland.

Apparently the Brits aren't prone to driving into stationary objects as we are here on the continent.
No, we drive into other vehicles

·
Registered
467 Posts
I haveconnectedmy Up to VAG VOM to read the air-bag system part.nr., after then you can check if the pass.airbag can be upgraded with key turn-off option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts