Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will finally be ready for me to collect on Tuesday. Can't wait! The dealer says I have to go in on Saturday to sign a document and pay for the car in full. My husband says we shouldn't pay until we have inspected the car and everything is ok. I'm sure there won't be a problem, but what have other Up purchasers done? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ive heard this before but when my dealer rang to say come and collect, I said shall I come in now to pay and he said no it'll only take 5 mins so do it on the day!

I was a so called cash buyer, didn't need vw finance so don't know if thats different! I don't know if thats relevant to you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your husband is quite correct! You have a right to inspect the goods (as they are to be sold) before parting with your hard earned cash. You are "paying in full" therefore as long as the money is in the bank then there should be no problem. You've already left a deposit showing your intent to buy so what's their problem? Is it because the salesman (who you've been dealing with) is off on Tuesday? We just went in on the day and used the Debit Card... Simples!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Barnacle Bob said:
Your husband is quite correct! You have a right to inspect the goods (as they are to be sold) before parting with your hard earned cash. You are "paying in full" therefore as long as the money is in the bank then there should be no problem. You've already left a deposit showing your intent to buy so what's their problem? Is it because the salesman (who you've been dealing with) is off on Tuesday? We just went in on the day and used the Debit Card... Simples!

^^

This exactly. There is no obligation for you to pay for anything, even if they've ordered it in specifically from construction (although you may not get your deposit back).

If you're paying in full (not through VW finance) then the ball's in your court as to whether you pay or not. They can't stop you walking out through the door if you're not happy with the car you've got. You're well within your rights to demand any corrections to the car (for example, if the specification isn't what you ordered or if there's damage be it cosmetic or mechanical), and you don't have to pay a penny until both parties are satisfied with the transaction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The salesman is in on Tuesday and I'm paying cash so it's only a matter of handing over a debit card. I asked if I could pay over the phone to save 2 visits but was told they couldn't take large amounts like this? He is also desperate to get me to take 7 days free insurance e from vw, but I have my own arranged. Does he get commission on this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would not think so, i was told by taking free 7 days insurance they could sort tax out for me quicker as did not have to wait for me to sort and send in details in. just say when they give you insurancequestions no to being contacted via post, email or mobile by third party companies.
also the excess is £500 on the vw insurance i got for 7 days which i would never have that high on my own policy.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
The dealer requires payment in order to Register and Tax the vehicle, they will not do either of those thing without payment, as should you decide to pull out of the sale, they are left with a pre-registered vehicle which is instantly devalued from a brand new, unregistered car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As you're a cash buyer they should take the money at collection. This is slightly different if you're on finance. The 7day insurance is more important as they need this to tax the vehicle, if you have yours, this is OK as long as you present them the certificate. I'd have thought, they want to tax it asap but can't without money and insurance. You could ask to view the car when you first go in? The money over the phone might be because large amounts can be declined and the bank needs to be called, if your not there, they can't call the bank....?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the salesman is giving you the run around... What's his problem? You've probably put up a decent deposit... As has already been stated by others, you do not have to pay "up front". Over the years I've bought numerous cars - all cash (on the card these days - but money orders etc in the old days) and not once have I had to cough up so far in advance. There must be a level of trust... particularly if they expect to have a long term relationship with you - for servicing and the possibility of future business. Can they get the car taxed etc. on a Saturday?

·
Registered
142 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
The dealer requires payment in order to Register and Tax the vehicle, they will not do either of those thing without payment, as should you decide to pull out of the sale, they are left with a pre-registered vehicle which is instantly devalued from a brand new, unregistered car.

not at my dealership, i paid deposit £250 to confirm order. got sent details of my reg 3 days ago, then sorted 7 day insurance monday, picked up yesterday.inspected car, took for spin round estate, went back in show room and paid rest of balance on card. ( card got stopped and had to answer security questions to autherise payment even tho i had informed my bank 1 wwek previous with day and amount leaving account) 2 mins later and a security question all processed, driving home in new shiney red up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts