Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently serviced my Up!, including a full oil change, oil filter, air filter and sparks, possibly not relevant but it's there. Around the time i did the service i noticed that the inside of my cabin would smell like petrol when i had the vents set to non recirculation, only when i turned on the engine and was sat still, the faster i move the less preveleant it is but the slower i get the more the petrol smell comes through. It does not come through on recirculation or when the fans are off, the engine bay smells fine the exhaust smells fine, so i have no idea where the fuel smell is coming from, any ideas.
Thanks,
Zdos123

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Did it smell before the service?
And is the smell definitely unburned petrol?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You may have disturbed something perhaps.
All I can think of is to check pipework from tank and HP feeds to injectors. An injector may not be seated correctly, maybe. Might be a seal on the HP pump (the LP pump is in the tank, so probably not involved).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may have disturbed something perhaps.
All I can think of is to check pipework from tank and HP feeds to injectors. An injector may not be seated correctly, maybe. Might be a seal on the HP pump (the LP pump is in the tank, so probably not involved).
I've poked around all the said areas and i can't find anything at all, not even the remotest hint, i'm completly baffled, it runs perfectly apart from this stupid petrol smell.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Is it there immediately on startup from cold, or only when the car warms up, or both?

I'm wondering about EGR.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In your previous post you said you had oil on the valve cover. Did you find out where this was coming from? Could the two issues be related?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In your previous post you said you had oil on the valve cover. Did you find out where this was coming from? Could the two issues be related?

Very possible the oil looked old so I assumed it was unrelated I'm leaning towards a bad PCV valve I'm gonna take it out tomorrow and see if it's clogged. That can also cause valve cover leaks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apologies if this is an over-simplification, but our up only smells of petrol on startup when we reverse it out of its parking space, presumably as a result of reversing it through the rich (cold start) exhaust fumes. If you don't already, could you try reversing yours into its parking space and driving it out forwards to see whether that helps?

I did warn you that it could be an over-simplification!

Tracendaz.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If everything is working right, you shouldn't smell actual petrol in the exhaust though, in a modern car.

Reactions: Tracendaz

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apologies if this is an over-simplification, but our up only smells of petrol on startup when we reverse it out of its parking space, presumably as a result of reversing it through the rich (cold start) exhaust fumes. If you don't already, could you try reversing yours into its parking space and driving it out forwards to see whether that helps?

Tracendaz.
It always smells, I reverse parallel park so it's always driven out forwards, and it comes back when stopped.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Apart from the smell, does it now run & idle smoothly and pull well?

You said the smell only started after you serviced it, which seems a coincidence - the only two things you listed that I can see that might have had an effect were changing plugs and air filter. With the plugs, did you torque to correct setting and are certain no cross threading and coil packs on firmly? With the air filter, did you check the breather pipe was reconnected?

How many miles has the car done, and what year is it?

·
Registered
761 Posts

Tracendaz.
I generally drive a diesel car, but occasionally use one of the family owned petrol cars including my wife's UP!. All of them seem to emit a faint petrol smell when reversing, but only when engine is cold. I just assumed it was normal, and due to my very sense of smell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apart from the smell, does it now run & idle smoothly and pull well?

You said the smell only started after you serviced it, which seems a coincidence - the only two things you listed that I can see that might have had an effect were changing plugs and air filter. With the plugs, did you torque to correct setting and are certain no cross threading and coil packs on firmly? With the air filter, did you check the breather pipe was reconnected?

How many miles has the car done, and what year is it?
The Plugs were toruqed correctly and there was no cross threading that i could feel, coil packs where on firmly atm one is not bolted in as the bolt snapped undoing it so i'm gonna grab another today, the breather pipe was reconnected, i have noticed though that if i take the oil cap off whilst the engine is running it makes the engine splutter and there is suction making me thing that it's possibly the pcv.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'd've thought that it's only when rings start to wear that unburned petrol could get into the crankcase and thus exit through the breather (if at all). The breather normally smells oily, but with a bit of exhaust too on a worn engine. Either way, if it is the PCV, that's not a wallet-killer... :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd've thought that it's only when rings start to wear that unburned petrol could get into the crankcase and thus exit through the breather (if at all). The breather normally smells oily, but with a bit of exhaust too on a worn engine. Either way, if it is the PCV, that's not a wallet-killer... :)
Dropping it off at a garage tommorow morning as it's driving me slowly insane and at this point i'd rather just get someone to check what it is for me and then if it's something easy replace it myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was not a cheap fix, the exhaust has corroded and the cat and mid section are both leaking exhaust fumes, coming in at around £720 as quoted from my garage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts