Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my New VW Up since May 12. Obviously have been playing the radio far too loud during this time as I've only just noticed the rather annoying swooshing of petrol in the tank noise. Thought at first water had made its way into the back of my car, or maybe I'd left a bottle of water in the boot but NO it's the petrol tank. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've never noticed it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought that if I at least had replies saying, others have experienced etc and maybe resign myself to the fact that it's just the Norm. It's booked back in with the VW dealership next week.

Hope they can sort as it's very distracting!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Keep the tank topped up so that there is no room for it to swoosh about? Seriously I have never noticed it in my car even with the radio off and blower off.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
if you turn off the radio, you can hear it, due to a relatively wide flat tank I think...certainly nowt to worry about in my case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, not sure if this is the cause but water has been getting into the sills of the up, and it makes that swilling sound that you refer too, i don't think it has anything to do with your petrol, the ups have been recalled here in Ireland to resolve the issue, something to do with a drainage issue, not sure what the remedy was ( probably drilling another hole to let the water out) but it only took a couple of hours in the shop could be what you are hearing??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, the first of the 12 plate up's do require a small modification,
There are 4 rubber bungs in the lower sills 2 each side which are removed and small drain holes are put into them then re inserted also 2 rubber bungs are removed from under the rear of the car and 2 drain holes are made slightly larger under the rear wheel arches, this procedure takes about 20 mins your dealer should do it while you wait, this will cure your problem I'm 100% sure because water cannot drain out freely and this causes the noise, the later up's come already modified

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great, thanks for explaining. They say it's best never to buy a brand new model till it's at least 6 months old to avoid these kinds of glitches. Lucky for the car companies that most of us ignore this advice - otherwise they'd all go bust!

·
Registered
4 Posts
CoatMael said:
I'm devastated that they may have to drill into a brand spanking new car!
Your car won't be drilled into as I tried to explain 4 rubber grommets are removed and then re inserted at no point is the car drilled into and no bare metal is exposed and the opening of the rear arch drains is just a case of clearing of the body corking to make a drain hole what's already there a bit bigger as on later ups there's no chance of creating any paint/body defects in any way, don't worry.

Just make sure the modification is done before the temp starts to drop below 0 as a block of ice moving about in there would cause a noise

·
Registered
5 Posts
CoatMael u solve the problem at car dealer?

The hint given bywoodyyzf does anyone try it? :)

I have the same problem for my up! 2012. After a heavy rain, was the first time when i heard the water or petrol splashing noise in the back part of the car .... So if was the first time when i head, this it happens only when is no sound in car, when i push the break at low speed, when i cornering also at the low speed on some damaged roads ....

There are some holes under the car as i noticed ...woodyyzfcan you provide us a pictures with your explanation?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Are you sure its the petrol tank.I had this and it turned out to be water in the sills.

There are four plugs under the car, i pulled them out and a lot of water came out too.

I'd check them out if is were you.

I've marked the plugs in red. That's the ones i pulled out and let the water drain then replaced them.

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is another thread about this with pictures somewhere. some of the plugs are sealed with wax/paint, but the ones at the very front and very back are black plastic and can be pulled out - the trapped water trickles out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts