Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta say, I love my little up.Mindyou, I've always considered the stock headlights to be a little weak for country driving. Specifically the low beams. There isn't a great deal of lighting distance, which is a less than ideal for when I'm on my usual windy 20 km forest commute at night or early morning.

I reconfirmed this while out driving last night. I accelerated through a sweeping bend up to the 90 kph posted speed limit. I was a little less alert than usual, and by the time I saw the deadwallabycarcassin thecenterof my lane, therewasn'tenough time to swerve around it. I passed over it with a loud 'thunk!' Amazingly there was no damage. The carcass grazed the frontair damand also the spare tire hump at the rear, leaving a little blood as the only evidence.

Lesson learned: be more careful of the furry critters (dead or alive) on the road at night, and upgrade your lighting.

Osram Nightbreaker Plus are on their way, thanks to the positive comments from several members on here that have made the upgrade. I'm keen to see the difference for myself.

·
Registered
727 Posts
up_take87 said:
I gotta say, I love my little up.Mindyou, I've always considered the stock headlights to be a little weak for country driving. Specifically the low beams. There isn't a great deal of lighting distance..

I used to think the same for months until I realized there was an adjustment dial right on the dash hidden from my view behind the steering wheel. Now my low beams no longer point downwards at the ground just in front of my up!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that's what that switch does! I thought it was the dimmer for the instrument panel lighting. Haha!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's two one for the dimmer on the instrument panel the other is a headlamp height adjustment for when the up is loaded, you are ment to adjust the headlamps down when car is loaded to stop blinding other motorists.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The interior adjustment was not enough in my case. As mentioned in another thread, there is also adjustment on the lights. Open the bonnet, then look at the back of each headlight cluster, and you will see a hexagonal slot. Use an allen key to adjust the level. Be careful not to lift them too much for obvious reasons. Mine was downright dangerous when received, but it is now fine. They are very good lights.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had also read the horror stories about the up lights not being very bright.
Stock, they're a bit better than my previous car, which was already running Philips X-treme or Osram Nightbreaker lights.
I guess it's OK for H4 halogens.

Most light : check out the GE 90 and 120 Megalight Ultra

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The things I learn from the fine people on this forum! I adjusted the dial for my drive to work this morning. It was adjusted all the way down! There's definitely an improvement with the lighting distance now. I'm still looking forward to seeing how the new bulbs will go though.

Also, I've always found high beams to be quite good. It's just the low beams that fall short.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There isn't a control for altering the instrument brightness. If it was there, it would be a dual control as fitted to more expensive VW models - I had it on a previous Polo.

Nick

·
Registered
20 Posts
An instrument dimmer is the only small thing missing that I would really like to have.

Perhaps someone can work out how to do it. Personally, I wouldn't need a dial on the dash, just a way to change and then forget it.

It's odd that you can reduce the brightness of the radio display (which didn't appear that bright to me), but not the instruments...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm, so does the normal 'analog' control found on most VW's just send some kind of signal through the canbus and the display picks it up or is it a more basic mechanism like old-skool dimmer switches for the house?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Erm, is it a 'hidden feature', or is my up! just broken.

With head/sidelights in the off position, I've noticed my white backlighting on the dials fades in and out. I thought it might be a neat touch to help you realise you need to put your headlights on when it gets dusk/dark...

·
Registered
397 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
With head/sidelights in the off position, I've noticed my white backlighting on the dials fades in and out. I thought it might be a neat touch to help you realise you need to put your headlights on when it gets dusk/dark...
Yes, it's exactly that! There's a DUSK SENSOR!
I noticed this morning (6.15 am) there was NO backlighting to speedo and other dials (altho all needles on dials were illuminated RED) - but not fading in/out, just OFF. Lighting was OK onthe return journey, so as I was passing the Dealer, I called in.
He told me that the Dials are lit during daylight, but at dusk, if side/headlights are not put on, the backlighting shuts off as a reminder!
Sadly, M&M is not so 'smart'. Auto lighting level works off Sunrise/sunset times (so the on-board explanation says.) Last night, on AUTO, it stayed at the DAY setting until 9.45pm. (Yes, I could have manually set it to NIGHT setting but too fiddly whilst driving.....so I switched to the screen-saver which gave a darker screen). Dealer suggested M&M might have a user-variable time setting on the AUTO option ..... but it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
shakotanVIP said:
I noticed this morning (6.15 am) there was NO backlighting to speedo and other dials (altho all needles on dials were illuminated RED) - but not fading in/out, just OFF. Lighting was OK onthe return journey, so as I was passing the Dealer, I called in.
He told me that the Dials are lit during daylight, but at dusk, if side/headlights are not put on, the backlighting shuts off as a reminder!
Sadly, M&M is not so 'smart'. Auto lighting level works off Sunrise/sunset times (so the on-board explanation says.) Last night, on AUTO, it stayed at the DAY setting until 9.45pm. (Yes, I could have manually set it to NIGHT setting but too fiddly whilst driving.....so I switched to the screen-saver which gave a darker screen). Dealer suggested M&M might have a user-variable time setting on the AUTO option ..... but it doesn't.
That explains something annoying. When I drive along in the day, the dials are illuminated, but when I go under a row of trees on the way to work, the dial lights go off, leaving me unable to see the instruments. It is really annoying!

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Leif said:
PeterWestSussex said:
shakotanVIP said:
That explains something annoying. When I drive along in the day, the dials are illuminated, but when I go under a row of trees on the way to work, the dial lights go off, leaving me unable to see the instruments. It is really annoying!

It's actually a bloody good idea.

Granted, not in the situation you describe, but then if it's dark enough not to see the dials, it's probably dark enough for side lights ;)

The amount of cars I see at dusk or at night without headlights on it astonishing, and I strongly believe it comes from manufacturers having permanently backlit instruments. It used to be that dials were only ever lit when you turned the side/head lights on, which meant as it got dark and the dials got hard to read, it served as a handy reminder to switch your lights on.

Now, especially in urban areas with streetlights, there is no visual clue to the 'lesser intelligent' that they need to turn their lights on.

I'm forever flashing my lights at someone bimbling along with no lights coming out of Tesco at 9pm, or yelling at someone after pulling up along side them "LIGHTS!".

It's dangerous, and I'm glad VW have introduced something to help curb it happening.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Would these same people ever bother to look at their instruments?

Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
my question is: if the Up has the dusk sensor, why VW didn't activate the function to automatically switch on the headlights?Would it be possible to do that with a DIY switch?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts