Up Owners Club banner

Pinking Engine

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  911ts3 
#1 ·
My engine has recently started pinking (or pinging/knocking). It has that unmistakable rattle when the engine is under load at low revs.
It did not happen on my previous UP but this one has direct injection and a turbo.......could it be carbon build up, I wouldn't have thought so at 18,000 miles.
I'm going to fill up with higher octane fuel and see if it stops, could it be a rattling heat shield that is fooling me or is that a completely different sound.
Anyone else had this issue ?

#2 ·
I had a rattling heat shield in my 75hp MPI.

Sounds like it's coming right from under the car which initially made me think it was the exhaust.

Would rattle on startup like someone was banging on my bonnet, if you didn't quite catch enough revs but still moved off without stalling it'd rattle then as well.

When the garage put it back on at the same time as my MOT it was lovely and quiet and free as well, so give the heatshield a look maybe

#3 ·
Problem sorted, it turned out to be two issues.
Rattling heat shield and the plastic underbody cover over the fuel pipes etc was full of pebbles which were happily rattling away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.