Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 'show plates' are finally on, it's all coming together :) they look the nuts too, IMHO.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Davec86 said:

Looks nice but this is one area I think the Swiss got it right. Our front plates are far smaller than those "barn doors" Europeans are required to mount on the front of their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I'll give you that! Our plates are bl00dy massive, it's a **** shame!
I believe some states in 'merica don't have to show a plate on the front at all. Cars do look better without them.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Well, because they use the smaller version of the Charles Wright font, they are only supposed to be used on imported cars where the number plays location does not allow for a regular UK sized plate.

However, I've used import sized plates on a whole host of vehicles, and its never been an issue. Not at MOT time, or having Police behind me in traffic, not even when caught on the Congestion Charge cameras!

·
Registered
583 Posts
"German" plates (D underneath the EU stars) on a UK car ?

Meet the wrong copper and it'd mean a court summons here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
_1S_ said:

True I got caught in my car for having D for Germany! Was asked if I was German or car was registered in Germany lol. Got told to swap plates over, £30 fine and threatened that car would be on a Q plate next time

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
collos25 said:
And if the DVLA decide to deregister the car than you might as well scrap it.

Number plates are covered by The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, not the DVLA, who wouldn't give two hoots about the style of number plate on your car. They certainly wouldn't consider de-registering it because of illegal number plates , and even if they do (which they wont), its only a case of applying for a new registration, the same as you would for an imported vehicle or a kit car. Only as its built by a major manufacturer and already type-approved, you don't need to worry about getting it MOT/BIVA tested.

Yet again your ridiculous and poorly educated spoutings have made you look a fool. Are you not tired of being made to look stupid?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Elfy said:
_1S_ said:

True I got caught in my car for having D for Germany! Was asked if I was German or car was registered in Germany lol. Got told to swap plates over, £30 fine and threatened that car would be on a Q plate next time

You'd get fined, and the maximum fine is £1000, so you have to weigh up what your illegal plates are worth to you, but you wouldn't end up on a Q-plate.

The DVLA will NOT de-register a car for illegal number plates. Number plate law isn't even covered by the DVLA. There is no reason for your car to be Q-plated, even if the original registration was withdrawn, as your vehicle is type-approved and bears the manufacturer's VIN plate giving the date of manufacture. You would simply be issued another age-related plate.

It's academic anyway, as that statement was purely a Police scare tactic to stop you putting the illegal plate back on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
From the government website

The Euro symbol must:
be a minimum height of 98mm
have a width between 40 and 50mm
have a reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top
show the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow

·
Registered
140 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Just taken delivery of some fully legal pressed plates, I'm not feeling the import size ones I've got on there at the moment.
I just wondered where you got your fully legal pressed plates from.. As I've been looking at a few different websites but not sure what one to go with..

Thanks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts