Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those retro folks without m&m who want to plug in an ipod, I found that a regular 3.5mm jack lead stuck out from the radio in an annoying way so I bought this from Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-3-5mm-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B004G7Q53Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343300685&sr=8-6

I thought it might be too short, but as you can see, for an ipod nano it's perfect and unobtrusive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-3-5mm-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B004G7Q53Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343300685&sr=8-6

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That's very cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just ordered this - thanks!Are you able to move tracks back & forward by using the left & right arrows on the left of the CD slot? I can't do this when my ipod is plugged in. Not sure if I've set it up right?

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's just an aux in im afraid - just audio in. if you have maps and more you can stream audio over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The iPod is about the same distance away as the buttons on the radio! I only ever have it on shuffle and all i ever do is fast forward over tracks i dont want to hear. After using an fm transmitter with my iPod for years I'm just happy to be able to plug it in and listen with no interference!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just ordered one as well!! thanks for the info

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've just ordered one too. Even though mine is a week 36 order and won't take delivery until nearly November 2012, for £2.16 i'd rather just order it now than spend hours hunting through this forum in a few month's time for the URL. Many thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've gone for a cigarette lighter USB charger with an old white iPod shuffle (£13 on eBay) and a 20cm audio cable.
Looks neat and tidy and easy to control iPod as its near the gear stick. Plus no-one would bother breaking in for an old shuffle so it can stay in the car all the time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Help!

Pre-iPod Generation Person here!

Can we hook up a little iPod Shuffle via this cable and control things from the M&M interface?

We just want to avoid using CD's in the car!

·
Registered
217 Posts
VWXYZ said:
Help!

Pre-iPod Generation Person here!

Can we hook up a little iPod Shuffle via this cable and control things from the M&M interface?

We just want to avoid using CD's in the car!

Aux cable will not allow you to control the device connected through M&M as the cable is only transferring sound, no commands. You can basically hook up which ever device you want through the aux port, as long as it has a 3.5mm headphones jacket to plug the cable to. You will still need to control everything except the volume through the external device.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As mentioned in other posts on this forum - a Bluetooth transmitter for your iPod should achieve what you're looking for and gets rid of the cable. They plug onto the main data/charger port of the iPod and are are very small and neat - and should work on a Shuffle, but suggest you double-check.

A quick scan of eBay or Amazon will give you plenty of choice.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Or get a player with bluetooth!!

I use my Blackberry as my MP3 player. It also stores the musinc same as the M&M, so have just created an SD card exact copy of the card from the BB!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
yapmaul said:
For those retro folks without m&m who want to plug in an ipod, I found that a regular 3.5mm jack lead stuck out from the radio in an annoying way so I bought this from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-3-5mm-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B004G7Q53Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343300685&sr=8-6 

I thought it might be too short, but as you can see, for an ipod nano it's perfect and unobtrusive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-3-5mm-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B004G7Q53Y/ref=sr_1_6? ie=UTF8&qid=1343300685&sr=8-6" rel="nofollow

Hey, this is what i love about these forums, people r here to help others, you didnt need to upload your findings but you did and its helped alot of people including me out!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've just ordered one and I have a M&M!

It will always be handy for when I'm on shorter journeys and can't be bothered to pick up the M&M and plug it in. I always have my phone, so for two quid, I thought what the heck

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be aware you all that the little shelf there is only big enough for something the size of a nano and the lead will only reach as far as that shelf. Why they only make them 1 foot or 3 feet I dont know!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I put my iPhone on there sometimes now, not a great fit, but it doesn't go anywhere!

But thanks for the headsup. I think I have longer ones around the house somewhere if need be

·
Registered
705 Posts
I put the case for the M + M on that shelf, as it fits nice and snugly.

Nick

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just received my cable for £2.16 and it's just the right size and fits my iPhone a treat, it sits on the shelf nicely and the cable does not get in the way.

Thanks for posting about this. Saves me picking up the M&M every time I want a large selection of music available on my short journey to work and back.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My pleasure! After your last post I checked with my iPhone on there and as you say it didn't go anywhere, except from side to side! Actually, it beats me why car audio fitted in new cars lags so far behind the times. They kept fitting cassette players long after everyone gave up on cassettes and surely now most people would rather have an iPhone/iPod dock than a cd player. I know I would. I just sold all my CDs!

·
Registered
98 Posts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-White-3-5mm-Audio-iPhone/dp/B005DISKZQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1347952149&sr=8-7

How about something like this? It connects to your car stereo inputvia the iPod dock connector rather than the headphone out so should be a better quality connection. I've got a very short one called FiiO which I use with a little headphone amplifier (i.e. when listening to an iPod via headphones not when in the car) but the principle is the same.

Re car stereos being behind the times - I think car manufacturers are looking at this - i.e. stopping a CD player being standard because they know they aren't used as much anymore. Both my new cars (the Mii and the family car) only have single CD players and CD changers used to be the norm. The Mii currently doesn't have a disc in it and the Volvo has a disc which is updating the built-in satnav (takes 5 hours of driving to update
compare that with plugging M&M into a computer and letting it do its stuff!)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts