Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sat at home watching afternoon telly, when the door bell rang. At the door was a policeman, very concerned that I had left my map and more in my car, does everyone take there's out I haven't since I got my car. But I have now. He even knew my name doing a sneaky check on my car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Bless them! If I'm just popping into the shops for a second I leave mine in, but when I park it over night or when I'm in work I put it in the glove box! Don't want anyone touching my wee car!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think it's safer in the glove box, as there is probably more risk of dropping it or loosing it out of the car than there is someone breaking in on the off chance it may be in the cars glove box.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a sat nav and one of those bean bag things you throw on the dashboard. Never stuck mine to my polo window screen as it leaves that tell tale mark and everyone puts them in the glove box. Have to say not ordered M & M for my baby, but well done for them checking. BUT really jst wanted to admire your Vee Dub :))

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
That was really nice of them to come and tell you, I dont think many police would have. That and they probably were checking out your shiney new lovely up!

But yeah I'll definatly be removing my m+m everytime I leave the car, just like I do with my radio front at the moment, and my Tomtom, rarely do I leave them in the car, even tho its unlikely the car will be broken into, I'd kick myself if they ever stole it!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't intend leaveing anything in ours as we live very close to a town centre and the risk of a smashed window just aint worth it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blimey is my only response.

Having had radio front panels stolen from my car in the past I would leave my glovebox open so the toe rags can see nothing is in there to steal. As for leaving M&M in the car the only one I'd risk would be a chcolate one but not on a hot day.

Golden rule...

trust no-one

but then I do live in London, however North of the River so things aren't that bad

·
Registered
344 Posts
We leave sat navs etc in our cars.

But we live in a little village with no crime so don't always lock our cars up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
never leave anything in my car ...or on show .Our scirocco got the dah prised open once for a radio about 20 years ago , had to have a complete new dash , the radio 20 years ago was a slide in pull out sort very bulky but todays radios or sat nav type things are smaller that fit in bags or pockets ...but it maybe that i live in brum ...dont trust anyone :(

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
no, i live in a little village, and even I never leave things in my car!

my friend few days ago was on a walk in the middle of the new forest (national park) no one around for miles, they could see her car for most of the walk, and yet they got back to the car and it had been broken into because they had jumpers and bags and things on the back seat... nothing was taken because she hadnt left anything valuable, but goes to show, no matter where you are or how remote, people will always try if they want to steal something!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never leave things in my car! The policeman did his job properly. So nice to hear such stories. Now cops in the news only because of os scandals with corruption,cartels etc. So tired of it! That's why i pin my hopes on aaappp . Association against abuse of power by the police. Have you heard about them? How good are they?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is this still a problem? A lot of people use mobiles for navigation that they take with them these days.

I remember about 10 years ago in Leeds (and probably Nationwide) there used to be a big problem with the theft of built in sat navs and other parts specifically from VAG cars.

The very organised thieves would glass hammer the passenger side front window, disable the alarm and would have the stereo/sat nav out in minutes often causing no damage to the fascia.

Other popular items were seats and other bling parts from RS Audi's which again we're quickly removed.

Really hard to stop unless you laminate your side windows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts