Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, this is mainly to those who know or use polishing machines, I've never used one but after researching machines they range from £60ish up to +£200 for kits. They all look the same but 1 caught my eye

Meguiars

It caught my eye as its just a drill attachment, it is a small tool compared to a few machines I've seen and it looks the part but is it any good? I really want to invest in a machine but I don't want it to break the bank but also don't want a crappy machine!!

Cheers guysEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also like the look of the dodo juice buff daddy (don't know why just do lol)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not sure of the advantage with a newish car as they are more useful for restoring paint work when more abrausive compounds are required, unless your just trying to save on some elbow grease?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooo no I enjoy the elbow greese! I love it lol its just some people keep mentioning them on here and say that you get better results!

Just to add last time I washed my car i saw a few scratches or swirls on the bonnet, I dont know if it was casued buy my wash mit or hand waxing and apparently machines deal with them and prevent themEdited by: Itzben

·
Registered
74 Posts
From what I've heard a beginner should start with a double headed polisher because it doesn't get as hot as a single headed. You could ruin the finish of the car if you go too hot with it. Maybe something to think about. Otherwise I think Meguiars is one of the best products.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a DA from cleanyourcar.co.uk - cost me £130 and its great. But I haven't used it on my up yet and probably won't for a year or so. I keep the up in the garage overnight and alway wash the body and wheels before I tuck her infor the night. Probably washed her at least a dozen times and only covered 1200 miles. I SRP and 2x EGP very early on and shines perfect. I started to clay it but was getting nothing off so stopped. The paint is like glass.

Personally - save your pounds.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ecksile said:
wetflyingmonkey said:
....... I keep the up in the garage overnight and alway wash the body and wheels before I tuck her infor the night. ..... 

OMG, I presume you are not being serious?
Or you only go out in it every blue moon lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Get a DA. You can use it for sealants, waxes etc as well as polishes. I would fully recommend using one if the DAS-6 types, I have the dodo juice one and I love it. It's so easy to use and is very difficult to do any damage with.
Or the Flex one is supposed to be very good too.
I still haven't used mine on my car as a whole, but am planning on very soon.
I have used it to remove some ugly as scratches though, back to new in minutes.
Dodo Juice Buff Daddy, do it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just be careful. Don't wanna burn through your paint or make a load of swirl marks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's not my daily drive so I only go out in it once every few days. I like keeping her clean :)

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
That Megs drill attachment looks terrible. You have to hold the drill at a really awkward angle, and anyone who uses a machine polisher will tell you that you are supposed to support the weight of the unit rather than press it against the bodywork. That's going to be really hard to do with a drill!

Most recommend DA machine polishers for 'safety', but I've been using a Silverline rotary polisher for years with good results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts